1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16x9 progscan capturing DVC?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Mr.D, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Say I was going to make a movie. Say I intendeed to shoot most of it on DVC and res it up for transfer to 35mm film. Say I wanted a camera that would capture in proper 16x9 ie 1024x576 that could capture progressively instead of interlaced at say 25fps or even 24fps and also had sufficient timecode support to allow accurate sync with an off-board recorder ie: DAT or Nagra.

Does such a thing exist and how much ?

At a pinch I could probably handle the 16x9 capture via an anamorphic lens???

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Presumably you would have a significant budget and are looking at cameras within the broadcast ranges? Or maybe you are musing over the possibility of the state of the art consumer prog scan models being adequate!

I don't have much knowledge of the broadcast models, although there is the Sony HDTV 16:9 camera for £79500!

In the consumer ranges there seems to be quite a few prog scan and 16:9 models but the capabilities of their prog scan capture would appear to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and model to model. JVC tell me that their prog scan cameras may exhibit more than the expected levels of blur or ‘smear' under certain motion conditions, apparently a function of JVC's current processing speed and CCD output capabilities. Sony said much the same about their models, some of which were only designed to capture prog scan for stills not full frame rate video.

However, Canon quite loudly proclaim perfect prog scan from their recent and latest cameras for stills and full frame rate video. Having used their MC3i MC (to be replaced in the product line up in a few months) for a few weeks I can confirm that the prog scan capture @25fps is indeed very good. Of course being used to 50Hz interlaced cameras the low frame rate and more ‘jerky' motion of 25fps is quite obvious but not a caveat in my view. The 16:9 mode on many cameras, seems to (from what I can find out), crop to 16:9 and then scale vertically to create the 16:9 anamorphic style image. But it is possible to use more of the CCD area (at the expense of image stabilisation capability) to generate the 16:9 image without scaling and thus compromising image quality. I believe the JVC 9800 has a wide screen mode that uses this technique, I believe the Canon may also do so judging from the quality of the 16:9 images I shot, but I can't swear on it.

With the right equipment the interlaced output of a DVC could be de-interlaced to very high quality for transfer to film, this option would give you a much greater choice of camera from all ranges.

I wish I could be of more help than this, but I am just getting into digital camera technology myself.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Thanks useful info. I would prefer not to shoot interlaced and then rely on a fieldsmerge type process as I'm not particularly impressed with the results this sort of interpolation gives. I'd prefer a coherent frame for frame shootin relationship: there will be VFX involved and whilst it is possible to accomplish this with interlace material its not ideal for certain processes. ( although most of this will likely be done in 35mm)

I might use super16 for the bulk of it and shoot 35mm for some of the VFX sequences that require greater stability. Many thanks.