1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16x9 Graphics cards

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by halyousif, Jan 16, 2004.

1. halyousif

halyousif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone know of a cheap graphics card which supports 16x9 resolutions? I've got a Samsung 172W widescreen monitor and I need a card which has a resolution of 1280x768.

2. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Pretty much all graphics cards will support 16x9 resolutions. You'll just need to install a little app called PowerStrip (do a search on the forums for more on this) and create a cusom 16:9 resolution for your card.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1280x768 is listed in desktop settings. At least it is with the latest Catlyst drivers from ATI.

I'd imagine the same applies for nVidia cards?

Either way, you shouldn't even need Powerstrip.

:smoke:

4. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    halyousif,

I helped a friend of mine out with this as he has the same Samsung 172w monitor. I had to update his graphics card drivers to the newest version, install the monitor driver from the CD that came with it, and untick 'hide resolutios that cannot be displayed (or something like that) After restarting the machine, the native resolution of 1280*768 was available. This was with his poor on-board intel graphics card, so I am quite sure you will not need to upgrade.

If you have any questions, just post back here and I will try and help.

Cheers

Rob

5. halyousif

halyousif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My monitor started displaying ghost-like smears horizontally. Samsung sent me a replacement monitor and it still exhibits the same problem so I'm guessing it's the graphics card. Hopefully it's not the AGP slot on the motherboard. My current card's a GeForce 2 MX with 32MB and I'll probably go for a GeForce FX 5200.

My current card doesn't have a DVI interface so I'm hoping the new one will fix the problem and display a better image!

Thanks for the help everyone.

6. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The FX5200 is 1000 times better than you currently have but first:

What are your purposes for the card?
    2D work or 3D gaming? if gaming the FX5200 doesn't deserve its FX title as it isn't a suepr contender.

Also, what speed AGP slot do you current have on your mobo. If its 4x + you should be ok although the cards intended for 8x agp slots, there will hardly be any noticable loss in performance

7. halyousif

halyousif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not using the PC for much to be honest. Just a freeview card so my daughter can watch CBeebies in the morning while we get ready!

Not too sure about the speed of the AGP slot. It's a 1.4GHz PC I bought nearly three years ago. I'll check the setup before I buy the card. let's suppose it's a 1 speed slot (if there is such a thing?!) do you think the graphics card will work?