16GB at 3200 or 32GB at 2933 ?

Fe_man2000

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi - As the title turns out my motherboard when using 2 dimms runs at 3200 and with 4 at 2933.

so which is better for gaming FPS ? Its small amounts from what I can see and I think the 16GB at 3200 is a couple of FPS faster than 2933, where as the jump from 16GB to 32GB is sometimes no improvement at all or around 1fps making me lean towards less memory clocked higher.

I mean I could change motherboard or buy 2 16GB dimms but it seems that for around £150 for either of those options is not something I what to do at the moment, rather get a faster CPU with some of that money instead.

I wondered what everyone else thought.

You won't see any improvement between 3200 and 2933 memory speed. I'd go for the 32GB RAM if it were me. Granted, not many games use more than 16GB at the moment, but that day will soon arrive.

You won't see any improvement between 3200 and 2933 memory speed. I'd go for the 32GB RAM if it were me. Granted, not many games use more than 16GB at the moment, but that day will soon arrive.
Agree.
However, if your motherboard can take RAM at a certain speed with 2 modules, it should be able to take them at that speed with 4.

You would think so but not according to the manual, and when I tried it repeatedly crashed which unfortunately backs the manual up. I increased the voltage a bit up to 1.4v but it didn't help.

Please refer to below table for AMD non-XMP memory frequency support.
1633247187404.png

Now this is non XMP and there is some listed in the compatibly chart for this motherboard that appears to suggest that 3200 or even 3600 could work using XMP but my Corsair RAM isn't on that list so it might be possible but again its changing the RAM which seems like a big spend for a small improvement - likely I will change the CPU up to a 5600x at Christmas as this is a better use of the money (and I need to ask the wife for something so why not)

Last edited:
Agree.
However, if your motherboard can take RAM at a certain speed with 2 modules, it should be able to take them at that speed with 4.
It depends on whether the memory controller can handle it. It's definitely not a certainty (I had the same issue with my previous board, could push 2 DIMMs harder in dual channel mode than all 4).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom