1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

160gb Hd and DVD recorder from Aldi - £230 - any good?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by simonkirkland, Aug 26, 2005.

1. simonkirkland

simonkirkland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Aldi have a DVD/HD recorder (tevion which I believe is re-badged sampo) for £229.99 next Thursday. Any good?

Click here for more info

"This is a truly fantastic product at a great price. 160GB Digital DVD/HDD Recorder. Allows you to record over 200 hours of your favourite films, soaps and reality TV programmes directly onto the integral hard disk drive. It also includes a DVD recorder so you can record straight onto DVD or transfer programmes from the hard disk onto the DVD and a timeshift function so you can play and record at the same time and 'pause' live TV if you want.

TIMESHIFT - WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? When the timeshift function is selected you can press pause at any time and the TV programme you are watching will be instantly paused. This is a very useful function that allows you to answer the phone, pop the kettle on or even fast forward through the advert break, you won't have to miss a second of your favourite programme. Perfect timing!

Also includes:
    Timeshift function - play and record simultaneously, and pause live TV
    DVD+R/+RW recorder
    MP3-CD/JPEG compatible
    Convenient DVD edit functions (divide or delete chapters)
    One touch recording
    Timer recording
    VideoPlus and PDC for easy recording
    Integrated AC3 Dolby Digital decoder
    Sound digital out
    PAL/NTSC compatible
    NICAM stereo
    On screen display
    Playback (DVD, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, CD-R, CD-RW, JPEG, DIVX, Audio-CD, MP3-CD)
    DIVX 3, 4, 5 and MPEG 4 compatibility
    Records up to 6 hours per DVD and 204 hours on the HDD
    Sockets: (S-video in and out, audio/video in and out (RCA), component out (RCA)
    Digital audio out (coaxial/optical), 2 Euro SCART sockets, DVin (IEEE-1394/FIREWIRE)
    Includes remote control and 1 blank DVD+RW
    Progressive scan"

Simon

2. simonkirkland

simonkirkland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. aaronhfc

aaronhfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to buy the Toshiba RD-XS32 but this has got my attention also. Anybody got any thoughts on how good this is?

4. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Note that like most supermarket bargain DVD recorders, it only records in DVD+R/+RW and not DVD-R/-RW, which means reduced options for compatibility.

5. simonkirkland

simonkirkland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this a problem as +R's are the same if not cheaper in price to -R's.

It still plays -R's so watching copies isn't an issue?

Apart from this is it any good? Seems a decent price for such a large HD?

Simon

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    I have no first hand experience of this but I always think that you tend to get what you pay for in the end.

7. Stoofa

Stoofa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    In a similar vain:

ebuyer.co.uk are currently selling the Liteon LVW-5045 for £240inc
    This too has a 160GB HD and wonder if anybody owns one has any opinions on it?

I was within seconds or ordering a Toshiba RD-XS34 for around £300 when an e-mail arrived telling me about this one.
    A £70 saving is a £70 saving - but only if it's any good.

8. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I to received the weekly offers email. I also have been interested in this all-in-one type product. I have checked the website, and it does not mention the tuners.

Does anyone know if it has 2 tuners, and if they are analogue or freeview. I think they must be analogue, as there is no mention of epg, or firmware updates on the blurb.

It has PDC, so I guess it must be analogue, but I do not know for sure.

Its only slightly cheaper than a similarly spec'd HTPC, but it probably will not crash as much, or run slowly.

9. jethro10

jethro10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have a look at the liteon forums over at www.liteonusers.org.uk for how folks are getting on with the 5045. look at www.svp.co.uk also for the 5045 machine. A tenner dearer but their returns policy is second to none. Where Ebuyers is just the none bit :)
    I am a liteon 5005 user and find it great.
    However the ALDI one, purely as a timeshifter VCR replacement looks good and it has what a lot of these things dont have - DIVX.
    So to me its tempting.
    Jeff

10. Deano70

Deano70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aldi have an excellent return policy so my advise is get one try it for a few days etc if your not happy simply put it back in the box and return it, they will not question why, if they do just say it doesn't do something i thought it would .

11. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
  12. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    ......and of course with the Toshiba you would also have the convenience of DVD-RAM
    which you will not get with the Liteon. For me - the Toshiba with RAM would be worth the extra £70.

13. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It might match the Tosh on PQ but then I doubt it.

But with the Tosh you get so much more functionality.

I was on the verge of selling my XS32 but then I realised JUST how good it is.

14. grayus

grayus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    shame that it does not have a freeview tuner

15. chocky909

chocky909

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Am I right in thinking that freeview tuners are only for that purpose - ie they can only record the digital freeview stream?

The thing about analogue tuner based dvd/hdd recorders is that they can accept any video source including terrestrial, satellite, cable, VCR, DV (camcorder(even freeview through a separate tuner)

I'm pretty sure there aren't even any Freeview 'HDD/DVD combination' boxes available.

If I could use my Thomson Freeview HDD to record my NTL cable signal I would but I can't and am thinking about getting one of the LiteOn 5045s. Or something else similar.

I'm wondering if you can link these babies directly up to a PC or not too, or whether you have to burn the discs to get the files there?

:D

16. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    For NTL your best bet is to get a networked TiVo and record the files straight onto your DVD burner in your PC.

Otherwise shell out a lot of dough for the new Sony combo Freeview/HDD/DVD recorders.

17. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding "Freeview HDD/DVD combination boxes" - if I understand what you mean correctly, then there are some, from about now. For example, the Panasonic DMR-EH60D sitting under my TV since Wednesday, which is a DVD recorder, a 200GB HDD recorder, and has both an analogue tuner and a Freeview tuner. There are also Sony competitors to this, I believe, either recently launched or about to (sorry Sony, I knew I wanted the Panasonic so didn't really research them) and I believe other makes are going to appear with similar products throughout the autumn...

18. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Cheers foor pointing this one out. I was going to buy a divx player and a dvd recorder. My current one that is playing is only dvd+r and is great sso this may be tthe best of both worlds

19. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    If you already have a Freeview viewer or Sky / Cable box, then think this one through.

I'm a big fan of Pioneer's kit and was going to wait for a combination Freeview/HDD/DVD recorder. Then I realised that within 6 months or so I'll be switching to a Hi-Def set top box and my present Freeview box will be redundant. Why also have a recorder where the Freeview tuner is redundant too?

So went ahead and bought the new Pioneer 530H with 160Gb HDD.

Worth considering if you plan to switch to Hi-Def as soon as it is available. Save the extra cash and buy some DVDs! :)

20. cogent1

cogent1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My neighbour bought a Tevion Recorder from Aldi and it was sooooo complicated and user unfriendly to set up, he came to me for help. When we did manage to get it going, even basic recording and playback were tricky, especially from Freeview. 'Advanced' features were beyond his comprehension! He got fed up with its complexity and took it back.This is kit for geeks who like to be presented with challenging scenarios! The Tevion is good value for money, but my Panasonic DMR-85 shows how user-friendly a DVD recorder can be.

21. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Bought one Thursday. About 5 people bought one as well. However I payed for it and left it at the back of the shop to pick up later.

When I went to pick it up the manager said to me somebody had already returned one - bad sign. The customer said the picture was bad.

Since I use $ky I had no problem with the picture BUT I had a lot of other problems. As for dimensions it's around the same size as a standard peice of hifi gear.

The interface is the worse I have seen. Hardisk editing is the worst I've seen for a top spec 2005 peice of equipment - not at all user friendly.

To set up the timer you have to go through about 3 sub-menu's then it annoying asks you if you want to use video plus.

Entering timer settings takes ages and I made quite a few mistakes because of the way you have to use the cursor keys.

Here is the problems I have had:

* When I setup the channel names, ie bbc1 itv1, they disappear when I put the machine into stand-by mode for recordings. The channels are still there but the channel names are not when coming out of standby. I entered 21 channels and they were all gone, I’ve tried it several times

* When I copy a divx movie onto the harddisk from a dvd or cd it copies it, but there is no way to play it back as it does not appear in the divx folder list. It copies mp3’s ok and these can be played back. I’ve also tried this several times.

* Firmware – there is no mention of installing new firmware in the manual or a website to find any. The medion website is no use at all, they don't even mention the machine. In fact a search using google doesn't return any results - only forum results like avforums.

* The hdd menu doesn’t store programs like on dvd using vr. And you can’t rename recordings until there complete which is a pain if you've just recorded five programs.

* The Hdd menu is rubbish - you can't trim out adverts - you can if you record to dvd. Hdd recordings appear as a list like in the timer settings.

* Had problems with mp3's - Freezing and horrible noise on mp3 playback on mp3's that play on my pc and other dvd player.

* would'nt always reconise V1 id-tags and didn't display the tag info - works fine with V2 id-tags though.

* The machine has crashed twice in the space of less than two days use. I set it to record three programs while I was out - when I came back the macine had switched off totaly - it wouldn't come back to life - I had to unplug at the mains and plug back in again.

This is my experience of this machine and I don't like it, it's going back tomorrow. I'm not trying to put people off but for 2005 I expect a friendly enjoyable experience when using this machine - sadly it dosen't happen.

I'm going to wait a bit and get the new Liteon 5055 which is coming out very soon - has 250GB harddisk, plays divx movies, records to dvd+R9 and has a user friendly interface. I reckon I'll be around £300

To make this a better machine the entire interface would have to be completing redesigned.

IF YOU ARE A TECHY AND MOST OF US ARE - DO NOT BUY THIS MACHINE. :nono:

That's all I have to say

22. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Update.

I've sent medion three emails and have had no replys. Support does seem good either. STAY CLEAR.

Although I said in the last post I was not trying to put people off - I have changed my mind now.

DO NOT BUY THIS MACHINE BECAUSE YOU WILL BE MAKING TWO JOURNEYS -

1. GO INTO ALDI AND THIS BUY MACHINE
    2. RETURN HOME AND FIND OUT HOW DISSAPOINTING THIS MACHINE IS
    3. GO BACK INTO ALDI AND RETURN MACHINE - DO NOT PASS GO.. :D

23. Stoofa

Stoofa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    To be fair your update post was only 11 minutes after after your original one - hardly long enough for them to get an e-mail reply to you.
    It was Friday yesterday and most companies work on a 24/48hr turn-around for e-mail.
    If you've not had a reply by Tuesday of next week then I think you can say their support is bad.
    Same day replies are certainly not very common.

24. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Far enough - it is the weekend - waiting for email.
    I know I've made some good honoust points on this machine though.

I'm not slating it, but would you use ms-dos in 2005? It is the 21st century and I expected this to be the lastest - specs look good on paper.

I could mention good points but the bad points outweigh the good.
    (The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many [spock])

I know it was only 11minutes but I felt I had to update what I had written. when I found I'd lost three recordings out of five from last nite (machine had switched off when I got home last night)

Missed southpark cause machine was off - had to unplug and plug back in - annoying because of this I had to do a channel scan and scan my channels back in. Using analogue cable in bedroom and I get over 20 channels.

Also takes a long time channel scanning - a lot slower than my mates Liteon.

Anyhow the new Liteon 5055 looks good from what I read on cdrinfo.com
    Currently at IFA in Berlin.

250GB harddisk, divx, autofit recordings. dual layer disks. :)