1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

160 DD problem linked to Maxtor Drive?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by stroppygoblin, Sep 7, 2005.

1. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just upgraded my V2 box to 160Gb using the recommended Maxtor 160Gb drive. This is the same drive used by Sky in their 160 box. Almost immediately I have experienced the sound drop outs on Dolby Digital channels (Sky movies 1 & 2) and Disney Channel. This problem existed before (and after) the latest firmware upgrade.

I selected this drive as I thought it would be the quietest (doesn't leave the fan permanently on). It would appear that this drive is the root cause of the sound problems. :suicide:

Can anyone confirm this and does anyone have an alternative drive that a) does not make the fan run permamenantly and b) does not cause a sound issue? :lease:

2. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nobody have an opinion on this?

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Are you talking about the Maxtor 4R160L0 ?

I have one of these in my V1 box, with no apparent problems, and no fan noise. However, I have to say that this is the "second box" in the house, and the V2 box in the other room gets the majority of use.

4. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yep, it's the Maxtor 4R160L0. I'm not getting fan noise (as expected) just the Dolby Digital sound problems. This has ONLY occurred since upgrading to this drive, therefore my presumption that it is the drive itself that is responsible for the sound cut outs.

It's a V2 box, and I have enabled both quiet mode and turned off write verify as reccomended.

I am going to try different settings for these options to see if it makes a difference. If not then it's out with the drive i'm afraid as the increase in space does not outweigh the sound problems for me.

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I have an opinion on Maxtor drives in general
    Low quality garbage that fail very quickly after the warrenty period, avoid at all costs.
    Samsung spinpoint are the most reliable and quietest drives I have ever used.

Can't really say about what to do in a sky+ though

6. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    My 2p - I agree with pjclark 1, Samsung in my V2's been great (only 120gb). I could have fried an egg on the standard Maxtor when I removed it.

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Lots of drives run hot - doesn't indicate a problem. I've used lots of drives over the years, and can't say that Maxtor are any better or any worse than any of the others. Just because one person has had a bad experience with Maxtor doesn't mean that they're no good. I've had a Maxtor 200GB drive in my Sky box for about 18 months now, and it has been fine.

8. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I've had 5 Maxtor drives fail in the last 5 years, running hot does indicate a problem as the bearings wear out very quickly at high temps. (I have about 20 HDs in use and as the Maxtors fail I replace them with other makes, none of which have failed so far)
    Hot drives in a confimed space, such as xbox, sky+ HDD recorder will cause many problems not only with the HDs themselves but the processors and other electonics in the equipment.

9. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I'll bow out as I don't know, but quiet & cool (my Samsung) must be better than noisy & V hot (Maxtor in my +, - but not in my PC that's ok?)

10. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    its not the maxtor drive failing thats the problem. its the problem with the new sky + software update

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Is it ? Why aren't we all seeing it then ? :confused:

12. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not true. :nono: My box (pace V2) was fine before I put the 160Gb Drive in. As soon as I had it installed, the problem began.

I am intending to take the drive out and out the original 40Gb back. I am confident the Dolby digital sound problem will instantly dissapear.

Of the people who have a Sky+160 I'd love to know how many of them that DON'T have the DD problem, have not got this Maxtor drive and how many of those that do have the problem have the Maxtor?

13. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Maxtor drives are rubbish, I build pc's and won't entertain one anymore. I always go for samsung.

I haven't upgraded sky+ to larger yet, does anybody know if you have to use a brand new HD drive to do it or will a cleaned old drive do. I have a 80gb samsung somewhere.

14. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I'm not doubting that you are having a problem, but you may just be unlucky and have a faulty drive - it may not be a fault generic to Maxtor. I have a 200GB Maxtor drive which has been in my Sky+ box for about 15 months now. I also have a 4R160L0 in my second Sky+ (V1) box. I didn't have any sound problems before the latest update, and I don't have any now. There's been lots of people that have upgraded their boxes, and lots of people that have used 4R160L0 drives, and if there was a generic problem, I'm sure that they would be posting here ?

15. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    im sure its a software compatability issue between the new update and the maxtor drive mine worked fine until the new update all the features works fine its just the sound problem.

if you had the old version of the operating system and your new maxtor drive it would work fine no sound problem like mine did. it all changed when the software on the box was updated

16. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I have the new software on both boxes. I watched two moves this afternoon - one with Dolby Surround sound, and one with Dolby 5.1, and both played perfectly from the Maxtor 200GB drive.

17. Vonzack

Vonzack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    stroppygoblin, when does the problem happen, when you are playing back a movie or when you are watching it live. Have you tried switching the live pause off (assuming you have it on), does this change things?

18. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The problem *was* occuring in both playback and live. I recorded "holes" from the disney channel and this cut out every 10 mins. Also whilst watching disney +1 live, the sound also cut out repeatedly. The same problem occurred watching a live film on Sky Movies 1. I have switched live pause off and no difference. Also rewinding and replaying did not not allow the audio to be heard, as other posters have mentioned.

HOWEVER. The problem *appears* to have gone away! :clap: My disk is now about 20% full (not sure if thiss means anything) and I no longer get any dropouts at all. The kids watch the disney channel a lot and have reported no sound problems at all. I recorded Troy the other night and that was fine.

Fingers crossed, I know this just confuses the issue, but I'm happy that it all works :confused:

19. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Assuming that the problem is with the disc, it could be that there are errors on the part of the disc which initially fills up when recording. Now you are past the error zone, the problem goes. Would be interesting to see what happens when the disc fills, you delete some of the earlier recordings and that space get re-used.

Try turning off the 'Live Rewind' when you are getting errors, to see if that helps. It should stop the HD being used when watching Live telly.

Gav