1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16 BIT Picture Question

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by LiquidTV, Oct 19, 2004.

1. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,
    I am awaiting arrival of my Samsung 32" LCD which I will be connecting to my PC via the DVI connections. However, I have noticed that the LCD only is capable of a 16 BIT display & not 32 BIT like my monitior. I have switched between them on my current monitor but can't see an awful lot of difference (although that was just with the wallpaper). What will this actually mean & will there be a loss in definiton etc (I appreciate as a whole monitors are better)??

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Its probably reffering to 16bit oversampling per colour channel : in which case your 32bit colour is actually 8bit (RGBA not that the alpha is particularly important for our purposes)

3. PAH

PAH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I bought the Samsung LW32A23W at the weekend (too impatient for delivery so had the fun of squeezing it all into my coupe saloon car, the box it comes in is HUGE!).

I've connected it to my PC's ATI 9600 via DVI, with the desktop set to 32bit true colour @ 1280x760. I've watched a couple of DVD's this way and have to say I'm so impressed I'm now in the process of speccing up a HTPC as my current PC is way too noisy and is usually situated too far away to make it practical having cables all over the place.

I haven't tried setting the desktop to 16bit or anything else but doubt it will make much difference, though I will have a play around tonight if I remember.

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Well you ideally want to stay in 32bit these days anyway.

5. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    PAH,
    That's the same model Samsung that will be arriving very soon. Can you let us know if you can receive 16/32 bit on the display property settings. Also what do PC graphics look like?? I can't wait for it to arrive!!

6. PAH

PAH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    My PC's video card allows 16 or 32 bit true colour at the LCD's native resolution, and I couldn't tell any difference when switching between the two. It certainly doesn't start displaying 256 colours or anything when in 16-bit mode!

For PC use, it's pretty much exactly the same as any other LCD screen, as long as you can connect via DVI at the native resolution, or maybe use some sort of resolution changing software (such as powerstrip). The DVI input certainly gives me the best quality picture available from all the connections, though I don't have the ability to try a DVD player via component or anything like that. I haven't tried any games yet, been too busy trying to sort out an NTL connection and deciding which PVR software to use.

Only downside is the other connections I have tried, such as scart/composite really are shown up for how bad an option they are compared to DVI. Certainly NTL with it's compressed channels are no better than on a CRT, though still watchable. I never expected it to be the best LCD out there but for the price I'm well happy.