Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

16:9 widescreen or 4:3 screen?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by iMan, Nov 22, 2003.

1. iMan

iMan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to purchase a Mitsubishi XD300U DLP projector that has one native 4:3 chip. Should I buy a 4:3 screen or a 16:9 widescreen screen. All my DVD movies are 16:9 widescreen so with the projector playing these widescreen movies, I assume there will be black bands (letterbox) at top and bottom, or part of the 4:3 chip won't get used?

If I get a 4:3 screen will that mean I have lots of extra waist at top and bottom.

Your advice desperately needed here as I don't want to spend £450 on the wrong Draper screen with the incorect aspect ratio.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Best reply I can think of is to point you to ProjectorCentral's article which details the issues to consider far better than I can. :)

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,722
    If you only watch 16:9 stuff like me (I have a 4:3 HT1000), then a 4:3 screen will have some slight light spill of the unused area showing above and below the 16:9 image. Having a darker area above and below a 16:9 screen will hide this, and improve apparent contrast. I personaly think this looks better too.

I only watch movies, so normal tv stuff should always be smaller imho - other wise Coronation St will have a bigger visual impact than the latest blockbuster. The few 4:3 films I have are normaly shown within the 16:9 area, and for me this is a compromise I'm willing to make, as they aren't blockbusters (Laurel and Hardy for example. :) ).

That's just my opinion of course, and others will disagree, especialy if they want to use the pj for sports programs.

Gary.

4. iMan

iMan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,722
    Well, a fixed 16:9 screen will have an even black border all round (aprox 2"), and if it's a pull down or electric screen, it'll have a black border, plus a larger black area above due to how far down it will have to travel.

Here's a link for a motorised 4:3 screen with a top black 'border' (can't remember the proper name for it right now). A 16:9 would be similar.

http://www.stewartfilm.com/engineering_specifications/modela.html

HTH

Gary.

6. Goof

Goof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I used a 16:9 fixed screen for a year with a 4:3 Pj, and as I think Gary's getting at, it'll really depend how fussy you are - with 16:9 dvd's (and similar ratios) it means a foot at the top and bottom the picture will be 'beamed' above and below your screen, respectively.

However, the beaming above and below the 16:9 screen is 'black light' so if you have a dark surrounding wall this isn't much of any issue (again, depending how fussy you are!).

7. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    same here, i have a 4:3 chip pj and 16:9 fixed screen. I put velvet curtains round the whole screen, so unless you get really dark scenes you cant see the 4:3 panel spill over. The only bugbear is watching 4:3 dvds as streched 16:9 picture, but i use natural wide on my tele that distorts the edges, i dont mind, i can live with it. i only have a few 4:3 dvds, most i watch on my ps2 and 14" tele.they tend to have a slight jump in picture which is magnified on a 5ft screen, even could tell on a 28 " widescreen tele!