1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16:9 via s-video

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by aderose, Apr 9, 2002.

1. aderose

aderose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to order the AE100. I intend to connect my HTPC via the RGB input and my digital cable box via the s-video input - so this is my question, which I think applies to displays in general:

I assume programs broadcast in 4:3 will automatically be displayed in 4:3 by the projector - but will programs displayed in 16:9 automatically be displayed in 16:9 by the projector? And if they will, will it be a true 16:9 picture or just a zoomed-in view of the 4:3 picture?

I guess what my question boils down to is that I understand how it's possible to display x pixels by y pixels with a digital (RGB) signal but I dont understand how different resolutions can be transmitted in an analogue signal.

-Adriano

2. aderose

aderose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I misspoke - I didnt mean to say "digital signal" - of course both signals are tramsmitted via analog waves the difference being that the RGB signal is digitally encoded/decoded whereas the s-video signal is not. And yes it's "analog" not "analogue" - I know.

3. aderose

aderose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    man, I'm replying to my own posts - how pathetic is that - doh!

I'll shutup now. In case I havent already I'd really like to thank everyone who contributes to this forum - I know enough now to wish I were ignorant.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    The only way in which any type of widescreen-capable monitor (which includes projectors) can be informed, by the source device, of the aspect ratio of the signal is either:

1) by a voltage applied to one of the connectors in a Scart cable - not applicable in this case OR

2) by a trigger signal included in one of the "spare" lines above the top of the visible part of the picture. This trigger signal differs in position between PAL and NTSC sources. Some devices can interpret one but not the other (eg PAL but not NTSC).

I don't know if the PJ in question has the necessary software to interpret this trigger from either PAL or NTSC signals. Personally, I prefer to switch ratios manually anyway, and I don't find having to do so in any way annoying. What I do do, is study each new DVD I buy, and place a little coloured sticker over the barcode on the cover, if the signal is not anamorphic/16x9/enhanced.... That way, I can set the PJ up before I start playing the movie.

5. psion

psion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To Aderose :

Resolution are unchanged wether it is 4x3, letterbox or anamorphosed 16x9.
    Standard TV signal holds 625 lines if video (only 576 are used)

For 1/, image is "normal" (576 lines of full video)
    For 2/, first and last lines of each frame are black, you have black bars on top and bottom. You have to zoom (horizontally and vertically) to extend picture to fill a 16x9 screen
    For 3/, all 576 lines are used, but they store a 16x9 format picture, so image is distorted vertically (streched).
    You have to zoom (horizontally only) to get the right format on your 16x9 screen.

So same signal, different ratios.

Was I clear ?

See you.

Philip.

PS : And yes "WSS" Wide Screen Signaling is used only to say that signal is #3

6. aderose

aderose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got it - so when im watching an anamorphosed 16x9 dvd on a 4:3 television the dvd player is what will convert the picture to 4:3.
    But with my cable box because 1) The cable box can't convert aspect ratios according to the set it's attached to and 2) My old 4:3 television can't convert aspect ratios, all 16:9 cable pictures must be letterbox, not anamorphic.

Unless my reasoning here is faulty, I get it. Thanks again.