16:9 v 2.35:1

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Aren't most movies that are in the dual aspect shot by the camera so you don't have to have it jumping from one aspect to another?

I didn't see Aquaman in the local cinema to know how they handled it because they are usually 2.40:1, at least that's our local.

most multi aspect films are shot to be “safe” in CinemaScope, meaning you can mask it down without missing any required on screen detail. Even avatar is safe as well.

BUT, seeing something like the chase scene in the dark Knight on a full screen is a completely different experience to seeing it cropped on CinemaScope.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
most multi aspect films are shot to be “safe” in CinemaScope, meaning you can mask it down without missing any required on screen detail. Even avatar is safe as well.

BUT, seeing something like the chase scene in the dark Knight on a full screen is a completely different experience to seeing it cropped on CinemaScope.

Well that’s only true if you had seen it in full screen, if you hadn’t you wouldn’t know any different.;)

Vila

Nolans films aren't 'safe' to mask ; If you want to 'recreate' the Scope framing you'd need to uses something like an iTunes or Amazon scope framing of the film.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Nolans films aren't 'safe' to mask ; If you want to 'recreate' the Scope framing you'd need to uses something like an iTunes or Amazon scope framing of the film.

really? I’ve never felt like I’ve missed anything important when I’ve masked it down in any of his films.
I’ve watched them both ways.

Vila

really? I’ve never felt like I’ve missed anything important when I’ve masked it down in any of his films.
I’ve watched them both ways.

Contrary to what some people keep asserting, the films Nolan has shot using IMAX cameras have been framed for IMAX.

Not framed 2.35:1 with "just extra headroom" and extra space in the lower part of the frame.

Because of this they have to create a "scope version" of the film from the IMAX print picking the best framing: It’s not a simple ‘ centre matte ‘

Itunes version laid over Blu Ray
darkknightrises.jpeg
dunkirk.jpeg

Obviously do as you want but matting the variable aspect version on discs will create an entirely different framing of the film - if you absolutely want Scope framing you're better to use something like an iTunes or Amazon presentation of the film.

MartinH32

Contrary to what some people keep asserting, the films Nolan has shot using IMAX cameras have been framed for IMAX.

Not framed 2.35:1 with "just extra headroom" and extra space in the lower part of the frame.

Because of this they have to create a "scope version" of the film from the IMAX print picking the best framing: It’s not a simple ‘ centre matte ‘

View attachment 1406925View attachment 1406926

Obviously do as you want but matting the variable aspect version on discs will create an entirely different framing of the film - if you absolutely want Scope framing you're better to use something like an iTunes or Amazon presentation of the film.
I think I'd prefer to stick to disk - interesting point raised though

mb3195

Distinguished Member

View attachment 1406925View attachment 1406926

I can see your point, but, if you’d never seen this you would never know, it would just look like it’s supposed to look if you didn’t know any different.

Personally I’m not a fan of multi aspect films, they’re a bit of a nightmare for projectors if you’ve got a masked screen, but some are much worse than others. Mission impossible fallout for example, for the 2 scenes that involve imax, I’d just mask it down, for aquaman and dunkirk I’d keep it at full screen due to the amount of IMAX shots.

The problem with iTunes and Amazon is that you are foregoing picture and sound quality compared to disc - this isn’t an issue for a lot of people, but when you’ve got 16 speakers and a 120” screen you can certainly notice the difference.

Vila

I can see your point, but, if you’d never seen this you would never know, it would just look like it’s supposed to look if you didn’t know any different.

If your happy doing that carry on by all means but it’s little different to the poster who prefer to use the zoom button to fill their telly.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom