1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16:9 True widescreen DV Camorder Under £1000 ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by sanju, Nov 13, 2003.

1. sanju

sanju

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im looking to buy a camcorder that has wide scree ability on it.

Ive read around and from what i can see is that most camcorders in the market record in a NOT true widescreen mode.

Just been on http://products.sony.co.uk/productdetail.asp?id=11_61_4467 and the DCRPC330 looks like the only TRUE widescreen home camcorder.

The othe one i was looking at was the Sony DCRPC105 which states that it has "New 16:9 Wide mode", Whats the difference between that and "True widescreen mode" that the DCRPC330 has?

Are there any other camcorders that will record True widescreen mode ?

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    DCP102 and up
    TRV33 and up

3. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TRV33 does not record in true widescreen mode. It employs the method where normally unsed CCD pixels (sometimes used for digital stabilisers) are used for widescreen recording. This does give you more than your usual 4:3 picture but it's not fully 16:9, its just stretched to that.

Don't know about the DCP102.

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    These new range Sony cameras record anamorphically and use more at the sides than the L/B cameras.

However the picture to me is very good

5. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed, the picture is very good but it's not true 16:9 - for that you need 2/3" CCD and cameras with those cost several thousands of pounds. However, for the budget range mentioned then a TRV33 would be an excellent choice and compromise.

6. Quilgy

Quilgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have to disagree with Torrent...

The Canon MVX3i does "true" widescreen using a built-in anamorphic lens which optically squeezes a widescreen image into a 4:3 aspect.

Most pro level digital editing products (eg: Final Cut Pro, Premiere) recognise the anamorphic image coming from the camera, and unsqueeze it so it displays correctly on a widescreen TV. Quality is not diminshed in the process.

All decent 16:9 DVDs use an anamorphic image, which your DVD player interprets differently depending on your TV. If its a wide TV then the player unsqueezes the image for playback fullscreen. If it is standard the DVD player adds the letterbox bars.

This can be a confusing topic, and if you're not sure what anamorphic is all about, go and read this article, it will sort it out for you. It talks about anamorphic DVDs but is equally applicable for cameras.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/