1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16:9 plasma and "letter box" format on DVDs

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by terence8888, Feb 3, 2004.

1. terence8888

terence8888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello,

I'm a newbie so apologize if this is an idiotic question!

Just bot myself a panny 6. Fantastic! It's my first plasma and my first 16:9 TV (the old TV is 4:3). When I play my DVDs, I notice that I had to switch it the panny to 4:3 aspect since the DVDs seem to be "letter box" format to fit 4:3 TVs (all region 1 DVDs BTW). Of course when I view the DVDs with 4:3 on my panny, about 50% of the screen is blank!

Is there any way of curing this or it's a case of buying new DVD discs. I use a ARCAM 88 BTW.

Many thanks!

2. Kraken

Kraken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you haven't already you need to set your DVD player to output in 16:9 mode, it'll be an option in the setup menu (likely under video settings).

Unless you been buying fullscreen DVDs in the past you should find they'll now display correctly using the plasma 'widescreen' ratio.

If you have some non anamorphic discs (widescreen films that have black bars encoded in the picture), using the plasmas 'zoom' aspect ratio to display them correctly.

There is not need to watch letterbox films in 4:3, that would be daft ;)

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Yeah, but remember 4:3 programs will only fit the space of a 4:3 TV on the new screen, meaning they will have black borders down the sides - or, you could stretch it out to fit the screen and make everyone look fat, but that would look a bit silly.