1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16/9 or 4/3

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ricky27, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    I am considering getting a projector and have been looking at the ae100 and sony hs1
    Im new to projectors and want to know what would be best as i watch lots of 4;3 tv aswell as widescreen dvds.
    Would the panny display a 4;3 image on a 4;3 screen?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    The Panny will work like a widescreen TV. The biggest picture will be from widescreen sources like DVD. Any 4:3 images will be smaller, they will fill the height of a 16:9 screen, but leave unused bars to the left and right of the image.

Projectors like the Sony HS-1 that use 4:3 shaped LCD panels will work like a 4:3 TV. Their largest image will be from 4:3 material. Widescreen films will fill the 4:3 screen width, but not the height.

Regards

3. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    as well as a proper 4:3 mode with black bars left & right, the Panasonic pj also has a stretch mode to let you use the full 16:9 screen size for 4:3 material.

this is what I match all 4:3 material with on my Pansonic TV,
    and its pretty good on most things... will be doing exactly the
    same when I get my projector soon.

as is, you list a Pace sky digibox in your equipment...
    set this to proper 16:9 and you will find that a large percentage of BBC, ITV, C4 & C5 tv is now broadcast in widescreen.