Question 16:9 or 2.35:1 screen?

If your eyes are around 107cms from the floor and 3.8m back, that will be just under 15 degrees for 16:9 content if you're watching it at the full height. Your seating distance to screen height ratio is around 2.9:1.
Do you know, with ceiling mounted projectors, if the image can be projected downwards?

I'm looking at getting the EH-TW7400 with this mount https://www.epson.co.uk/products/options/ceiling-mount-low-profile-elpmb30-v12h526040

I guess it will need to point down slightly to hit the screen correctly?

The 7400 has lens shift, so with normal height ceilings you can use the lens shift to lower the image without physically tipping the projector

Lovely looking set up there, 9300 masking, so you mask the lens? I'm definitely going to have to learn about masking!!
The epson has masking built in. Sadly to get from a 16:9 image to a scope image with masking you've to do the top and bottom - and it's one hell of a lot of button presses. More than the Harmony remote will let you set up in a macro sadly.

The epson has masking built in. Sadly to get from a 16:9 image to a scope image with masking you've to do the top and bottom - and it's one hell of a lot of button presses. More than the Harmony remote will let you set up in a macro sadly.
Something no doubt I'll be learning about in the weeks and months ahead!!

I'm using this ThrowDistanceCalculator

So I put in the image size (16:9) of 2.34m x 1.32m or 106" diag. I set the image to 600mm from the floor.

Throw distance is 3.17m to 6.66m, so at around 4.5m where I plan to put it, so it is behind the seating, it is about right.

The only thing I can't change is the height, which has the from ceiling measurement as 0.94m - I will bang my head on that! If I turn lens shift on, then it gives a max projection range top and bottom from centre of 1.93m. I assume if the projector is right at the top of the ceiling, say 50mm off the ceiling, the lens shift will allow 1.93m below this? So perfect for a screen 600mm off the deck?

I am asking stupid questions I'm sure.....

If the screen will be only 265 cm wide, you should buy an 120 cm 16:9 screen, becouse on a 2:35 screen that is only 265 cm wide, your regular TV shows will look very small.

If you want 2:35 screen, you should go for something no less than 320-330 cm wide so 16:9 and 4:3 content will also have enough space to look cinematic.

On a regular 16:9 screen you can always use some masks to hide black bars (altough I myself don't have a problem with black bars, I just ignore them) but if you have a small 2:35 screen you can' t do anything, you use it as it is.

Last edited:
If the screen will be only 265 cm wide, you should buy an 120 cm 16:9 screen, becouse on a 2:35 screen that is only 265 cm wide, your regular TV shows will look very small.

If you want 2:35 screen, you should go for something no less than 320-330 cm wide so 16:9 and 4:3 content will also have enough space to look cinematic.

On a regular 16:9 screen you can always use some masks to hide black bars (altough I myself don't have a problem with black bars, I just ignore them) but if you have a small 2:35 screen you can' t do anything, you use it as it is.

This post makes absolutely no sense.

What is so hard to understand?

A 2:35 screen that is only 265 cm wide will be too small for regular TV shows. Only 2:35 movies will look decent.

You need a larger 2:35 screen in order to use it as all purpose screen and not only for 2:35 movies.

What is so hard to understand?

A 2:35 screen that is only 265 cm wide will be too small for regular TV shows. Only 2:35 movies will look decent.

You need a larger 2:35 screen in order to use it as all purpose screen and not only for 2:35 movies.

a 120cm 16:9 screen as you stated is MUCH smaller than a 265cm 2.35:1 screen. The equivalent 16:9 screen would be 200cm wide.

It also all depends on seating position and ceiling height. For the OP, if he can fit in a 265 16:9 screen with adjustable masking to make it 2.35:1 then fine, get that, if not, a 2.35:1 screen will be better.

Personally, I couldn't go with a 16:9 screen as my ceiling height became a problem, so 2.35:1 suits me perfectly. For the 5% of times that I watch 16:9 ratio, I either put my masking panels on to make the screen smaller, or overscan the picture to fill the whole screen.

5% in 16:9? so you ain't watching TV shows at all on the projector?

I have days when I watch 3-4 episodes from various shows

I also game a lot and for gaming 16:9 is the best option.

I'm using this ThrowDistanceCalculator

So I put in the image size (16:9) of 2.34m x 1.32m or 106" diag. I set the image to 600mm from the floor.

Throw distance is 3.17m to 6.66m, so at around 4.5m where I plan to put it, so it is behind the seating, it is about right.

The only thing I can't change is the height, which has the from ceiling measurement as 0.94m - I will bang my head on that! If I turn lens shift on, then it gives a max projection range top and bottom from centre of 1.93m. I assume if the projector is right at the top of the ceiling, say 50mm off the ceiling, the lens shift will allow 1.93m below this? So perfect for a screen 600mm off the deck?

I am asking stupid questions I'm sure.....

With a 2.3 m ceiling height you can fix it anywhere and lens shift the image partway across the floor on those calcs!

Anecdotally I am using a 132” 16:9 screen from 3.5m set 400mm from floor. This is comfortable both at 16:9, Imax and 2.35:1. You also have a slightly longer throw distance than me so could consider accommodating a larger screen?

Last edited:
5% in 16:9? so you ain't watching TV shows at all on the projector?

I have days when I watch 3-4 episodes from various shows

I also game a lot and for gaming 16:9 is the best option.

Not me, no. My cinema room is a completely dedicated Home Cinema. I watch films and football, nothing else.

16:9 can work really well for most people, but masking to a 2.35:1 makes a much more immersive experience.

I also have a lumagen Pro which can scale 16:9 images to a 2:35:1 screen similar to the way an anormorhpic lens works.

PC gaming 32:9 is actually the best ratio. Consoles is a different matter and yeah 16:9 is best in this instance.

With a 2.3 m ceiling height you can fix it anywhere and lens shift the image partway across the floor on those calcs!

Anecdotally I am using a 132” 16:9 screen from 3.5m set 400mm from floor. This is comfortable both at 16:9, Imax and 2.35:1. You also have a slightly longer throw distance than me so could consider accommodating a larger screen?
That is interesting to know. I plan to set up the projector first, before I close up the ceiling etc and see what the picture looks like on the wall, then buy a screen to suit that. I may start with the 16:9 2.34m screen, than I can always change it later on.

Hi Folks,

Was wondering if I could get an advise as I have a 120" 2.35:1 installed with a Sony VPL-VW270ES but I can't seem to get the source I am playing to fill up the whole screen when I am playing a source that is 2.35:1 Aspect ratio. I've black bars on the left and right side of the screen. The throw distance from the Projector to the screen is about 3.65 meters.

Hi Folks,

Was wondering if I could get an advise as I have a 120" 2.35:1 installed with a Sony VPL-VW270ES but I can't seem to get the source I am playing to fill up the whole screen when I am playing a source that is 2.35:1 Aspect ratio. I've black bars on the left and right side of the screen. The throw distance from the Projector to the screen is about 3.65 meters.

The projector is too close to the screen.
Throw Ratio: 1.37 - 2.83.

An 120" screen in 2.35:1 format has a 280.5cm width.
So the minimum distance of projector to screen would be 280.5 x 1.37=384.2cm
From 365cm: 365 / 1.37= 266.4cm
A screen with the width of 266.4cm is 114" in diagonal.

Agh... so I need to have at least 3.84meters away from the screen based on a 120” screen.

Dang! Any other workaround? Screen and Projector lift all installed 🤣

Agh... so I need to have at least 3.84meters away from the screen based on a 120” screen.

Dang! Any other workaround? Screen and Projector lift all installed 🤣

Sorry, the information in the post above is not accurate.

On page 62 of the manual it claims the distance for an 120" screen in 2.35:1 format is 364cm:

This calculator:

LE: this model has a minimum throw range of 1.37x with a 16:9 format, however, the native format is 17:9.

Although the formulas in the manual are different, the throw range for both 17:9 and 2.35:1 (because the width is the same) is around 1.3x.

With the formula for the 2.35:1 screen, with an 120" screen in 2.35:1 format, the minimum distance would be 366.86cm.

What format/aspect ratio is used from the projector (menu), not the video?
Any other devices that changed the format of the video in the chain?
Are the black bars only on the sides, and not the bottom and top?
What movie was it?

Last edited:
On Kaleidescape playing all the 2.35:1 movie ratio eg. Fast & Furious, Captain Marvel etc. AV receiver is Denon

On Kaleidescape playing all the 2.35:1 movie ratio eg. Fast & Furious, Captain Marvel etc. AV receiver is Denon

The questions were related to ratio settings in the devices, projector/AVR/etc.

What format/aspect ratio is used from the projector (menu), not the video?
Any other devices that changed the format of the video in the chain?
Are the black bars only on the sides, and not the bottom and top?

Captain Marvel and some of the F&F movies are listed as 2.39:1 for the Blu ray releases.
If the movie would be 2.39:1 (on a 2.35:1 screen), the black bars would be on the bottom and top.

Are you sure the screen is 2.35:1?
Product link or dimensions?

Additionally you could post in this thread, or make another one on that sub forum, since users of the actual product might have more insight:

I have adjustable masking top and bottom so very easy to move scope's I just move the variable masking, 90%+ of the time I leave masked at 2.35-2.4 :1 When I have a 1.85:1 format I open the masking, this is quite infrequent these days. If I was doing it again I would mask on the sides (much easier !) and use lens memory and buy a bigger 2.35:1 screen

I have adjustable masking top and bottom so very easy to move scope's I just move the variable masking, 90%+ of the time I leave masked at 2.35-2.4 :1 When I have a 1.85:1 format I open the masking, this is quite infrequent these days. If I was doing it again I would mask on the sides (much easier !) and use lens memory and buy a bigger 2.35:1 screen

this is what I did, went from a 1.81:1 screen with masking top and bottom to a bigger 2.37:1 screen with masking on the sides.

What i've noticed is that the masking on the sides is not really needed, the black bars are a lot darker as no light is being projected onto this image, unlike the other way around.

On the Sony you can opt for the 2.35 aspect, then the right/left bars are gone. I use that as default too minimize zoom in/out when watching 16:9.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom