Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

16:9 on TRV900

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by altruist, Aug 6, 2002.

1. altruist

altruist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I was wondering about the quality of 16:9 mode on the TRV-900. I wanted to know if it really gives the movie in 16:9 format or crops the video vertically leading to loss of resolution.
    I would also appreciate if anyone could explain about the way to use the progressive scan facility in the camera. More precisely I wish to know how to exploit it?
    Arul

2. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Answer 2! It crops the image, giving you in effect a letterboxed display. Hence the DV 540 lines get downrezzed to about 400. If you can, it's better to shoot 4:3 and use editing software to "fake" 16:9, or if you're serious, get an anamorphic lense for about half the cost of the camera!!

This basically de-interlaces the image you're recording, and is useful for shooting still images - the slow shutter rate makes it jerky for video.

3. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Regarding the 16:9 modes - yes, they're good fun to mess around with (my JVC can do letterbox or anamorphic 16:9) and the picture quality isn't that bad BUT at the end of the day it's a 4:3 image cropped top and bottom to produce a 16:9 image - you're not getting a wider picture at all you are just losing footage from the top and bottom - in short, you are getting less not more.

Matt.

4. altruist

altruist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Matt and Xeonic,
    Thanks for your reply confirming on the inferior quality 16:9 formats in consumer level camcorders. So I wouldn't be shooting in this mode in future.
    I guess it will be highly inconvenient to shoot stills in progressive scan mode while you are recording at a normal mode as you have to choose the mode through a series of menu selections on TRV-900. I guess they should have had a button/switch to serve this purpose.
    what is your opinion about the progressive shutter function introduced in the new models of TRV-50 and TRV-950.