1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16:9 Monitor

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Todda, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use my sony VW10HT projector as my computer monitor but I can only view at 4:3.

I would obviously prefer to get the most out of my projector and always have my computer set to 16:9.

I have tried changing the screen resolution to a 16:9 setting but that just squashes the picture and leaves two black bars down the sides.

Could someone please advise if there any way that I could set my computer to output in 16:9?

If it helps I use a Nvidia GForce 440 video card.

2. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think your problem is the projector as the 10HT can't do 16:9 on the 'computer' input (even though the panel is 16:9!).

The newer 11HT and 12HT have the ability to accept 1366x768 as a 16:9 pc 'native' resolution (I'm using the 12HT)

There is a work around though, have a look here:
    http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/vw10ht_faq.shtml

Relevant text:

Connecting the 10HT to a home theater computer (HTPC)
    You need a VGA to 5 RCA phono cable. See the cable section above fordetails.

The biggest problem with using a computer to play DVDs is thatthe Sony locks into 4x3 mode when it detects any of the standardcomputer resolutions, and you can’t select "Full"mode to fill up the screen. If you use a card that can handle non-standardresolutions (the Nvidia GeForce and the Matrox G200 & G400),and create a 1366x768 resolution, the Sony will effectively scaleit to 1024x768 and still lock to 4x3. There is some hope thatSony will change this with a new firmware revision, but for nowthere is no way to drive the whole panel at 1366x768.

However, if you have one of the above-mentioned cards, you cancreate an 1184x666 resolution, with the appropriate front/backporch settings so that the Sony will recognize it as 720p HDTV.You will need either the Matrox Powerdesk software, or a programcalled PowerStrip which allows custom resolutions on supportedcards. The Powerdesk program can be downloaded from matrox (www.matrox.com) if it wasn’tincluded with your install disks, and PowerStrip can be purchasedfrom Entech at http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ps.htm

Here are the numbers you need to create the custom resolution:

720p50Hz 720p60HzPixel rate 64500000 74520000Visible pixels 1184 1184Front porch/H 138

Hope that helps a fellow Sony HT owner!

3. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark- Thanks for posting such a detailed reply. It is very much appreciated.

I installed powerstrip on my computer and configured the display to output at 1184*666 and 16:9. I wasn't quite sure how to input the numbers you gave me for the custom resolution. That was probably where I went wrong.

When I had changed the settings I received a message saying 'Windows will have to be shut down to see if your display drivers have accepted your new resolution. As a safety precaution Windows will be restarted at its current resolution. You then have the option to switch to the new resolution, if available.' How do I do that?

The nearest I have got was to set powerstrip to 1280*720p and set the projector to DTV GBR. The picture was then in 16:9 but it was too big for the screen. Also the picture deteriated by quite a bit.

Could someone please tell me where I am going wrong and how I can fix it?

Mark-Can you tell me how I would input the numbers you gave me.

Thanks again.

4. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Todda,

I think you'll be restricted to using the DTV GBR input type rather than computer. The computer input will only 'lock' onto specific resolutions or 'modes' which are listed in the projector manual.

You'll get the 720p on the DTV GBR input but as you mention it'll deteriate the picture slightly as the on-board scaler will be working quite hard!

Have you thought about upgrading to a 11HT or 12HT (or even a HS10 or the new HS20)? 1366x768 is sweeeeeeeeet.

Mark.

5. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark, how can I set my computer up to output in 1184*666? Should I be changing other settings powerstrip? (i.e. the front porch/H)

I looked into upgrading but wasn't sure the quality difference would be worth the extra cost. How much difference is there between the projectors?

The other option I looked at was buying a 17-inch LCD television that I would be able to connect my PC to as a second monitor. When I went to view some of these televisions I wasn't very impressed the picture quality for such a small screen.

6. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry, but I'm not a powerstrip expert, for the 1366x768 there's a text line you can paste directly in, which is found on here and a few other places. I'd just have a play with the settings - the text was simply copied from that FAQ link...