Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

16:9 mode on 4:3 set

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Donald, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Donald

Donald

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if anyone can offer some help? I'm setting up a new RPTV. It's a large screen 4:3 model which has a 16:9 mode which is supposed to display anamorphic DVD in widescreen in the correct proportion. However when I play a DVD with my player set in 16:9 mode the image that appears on my screen is a nearly full screen image that is out of proportion, ie the image is stretched vertically. When I force the TV into widescreen via the remote, the image appears to become squashed not to mention that a thin horizontal line appears at the bottom of the top black bar if that makes sense. If I switch my player to 4:3 the image displayed is widescreen with black bars top and bottom, no thin white line. I know this should work because my previous TV had the same 16:9 mode and anamorphic discs displayed properly and I got a slightly larger w/s image that I would if the palyer was left in 4:3 mode. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your going to use your 4:3 TV in 16:9 widescreen then you had better tell your DVD player. Go into the DVD's menu and tell it you have a widescreen TV.

3. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Donald
    How do you have your auto format,format correction,setup in the menu?
    I wondered if the format correction may be playing a part.
    Regards