1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16:9 material on a Pio 434HDE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Jimbo73, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Jimbo73

Jimbo73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What's the best setting for viewing widescreen (16:9) format material on the Pioneer 434HDE?

It seems that the aspect ratio of the display is 4:3 (1024x768) but the actual shape of the screen is more "widescreen" than traditional.

I have a lot of widescreen format DVD's, but when I watch them the film always has black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. The same can be said for some movies on the Sky Movie channels (although for some reason, other widescreen broadcasts are full-screen).

You can minimise the black bars by going through the different zoom settings, but this alters the geometry of the picture, for example, circles become tall ovals.

Over time, these black bars are going to degrade slower than the rest of the screen, and at some point will be noticably brighter when watching full screen material.

Perhaps something like a scaler will help..?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,067
    1: The Pioneer's pixels aren't sqaure, they are rectangular. The screen is 16x9.

2: Black bars are to be expected when the aspect ratio of the film is wider than 16x9. It's the only way to make it fit without either cropping or distorting it. The reason the symptom is intermittent is that films ratios vary. Some are give or take 16x9; others are wider.

3. Jimbo73

Jimbo73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm completely puzzled now - how come I didn't get these black bars on my old 32" widescreen TV, yet the geometry was as good as can be expected for a CRT?

4. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i usually watch widescreen images on cinema setting m8 and then back to full when watching most of the sky progs!

5. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Not sure what we're talking about here. As nigel says, if you are watching a film originally shot at a ratio of 2.35:1 (or thereabouts), then there will be black bars at the top and bottom. This is necessary to fit the film onto a 16:9 screen. Think of the cinema: the adverts at the beginning are shown on a 16:9 screen, then the screen is widened out further for the actual movie (relevant ones anyway).

If a 2.35:1 film shows with the bars top and bottom on the plasma but not on the CRT, then perhaps the TV has some kind of auto-zoom function built in?

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Hi Jimbo,

Maybe your CRT was overscanning a lot more than your plasma - hence you are now seeing more of the black bars.

Steve