16:9 Fixed Screen Options

M

mortonman

Help !!! I am looking to sell my current OWL Electric 6ft Screen and purchase a 7ft 16:9 fixed screen.

Does anybody have any advice on which screens are the best and value for money. I have looked into doing a DIY but OWL don't seem too keen to get the material.

Having said that I don't mind spending £450 ish if it is worth it.

I am also on the scrounge for a second hand IScan Pro if there is one out there ???

Hi

have alook at my website for info on DIY screens, material sources, build instructions etc.

You'll be able to get a very decent screen for a lot less than your budget.

(Site to be updated in the very near future).

Peter

Cheers Peter,

Thats spooky as I am installing a loft cinema room that is almost identical to yours but 17ft x 11ft wide.

I am running a seleco 400HT and after seeing your excellent website and links have a few more questions.

1) Where can I purchase the screen material from as OWL didn't seem keen to sell it to me ?

2) How did you hang it from the wall ?

I also purchased the Velux Black Out blinds and I agree they are excellent,

Thanks for the feedback,

Matt

Matt,

There's a link on the screens section of my site (I think!) to Harkness Hall. They do a screen fabric called Perlux. It's about 1.4 gain and they'll send you any size with a straight edge cut. I'm sure there are other suppliers as well. Do a search in the CRT and DIY threads.

I don't hang my screen from the wall. I had a "platfrom" of sorts at the screen end of the room. When the builders were in, I had them set back the end wall by about three feet. This gave a mini "stage". In this opening, I constructed a frame made from cheap 2x1 battens and faced it with MDF which we then painted. An opening of the exact screen dimensions was left and the screen is inserted into it. 4 simple bolts attached to the screen frame slide into keepers on the framework and hold the screen in place.

You can see parts of this in the photos on the Screen page (click to enlarge) but, as noted, I'll be revamping the site in the coming days and will include more photos of the screen construction if I can.

The whole thing works really well. I can take down the MDF panels to each side of the screen and access the space behind the screen (currently have lots of cables etc. running in there!).

Any other questions, feel free to ask here or PM me. (Mods, this thread may be more suitable in the DIY forum?)

Cheers

Peter

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom