1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16:9 Capture Issue - Assistance sought

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Alias, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Alias

Alias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally bit the bullet and purchased a Sony PC 109e which I am reasonable happy with. When I play the footage I record in 16:9, directly from the cam on my plasma it plays in all its widescreen glory. I then went to capture (or more correctly transfer - I'm learning!) to my PC. After a bit of a noob error (i forgot to rewind the tape!!) I was able get the files on my PC. I used Ulead Visual Studio 7. Only problem is the aspect. The footage transfered looked distinctly 4:3 in shape which I thought was strange. My player (zoom player) says that the aspect is set to Source. The image looks "squished" so things appear taller than normal. I then compared the same frame played on the camera on the LCD and played on the PC. What I noticed was that the image on the LCD screen did not extend as wide as what was shown on the PC. ie there was a plant which was at the right side of the frame which was not shown on the LCD screen at all , but was on the file transfered to the PC(is that clear??) This really bamboozaled me as if anything I thought it would be the other way around.

My simple analysis is that the footage recorded records the frame as the lens sees it. When 16:9 has been selected when recorded this then masks the LCD screen for both recording and playback. When transfered to PC the image comes in it's "true" format. My next problem will come when I try to make a WS DVD out of the footage.

I know I could be WAY off the mark here, but this is the only explanation I can think of.

It was then suggested to me by an AV Forums whiz that the framing issue may just be overscan and not the "real" issue. I couldnt see anywhere in the Ulead software to tell it that the source footage was 16:9. I also tried winDV with the same result (though this app did drop alot of frames the first time I used it)

Any advice/comments would be appreciated

thanks

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    When you playback the tape through the plasma, is the TV actually in Widescreen mode, indicating a true 16:9 anamorphic recording?
    (From what you say about things appearing taller than normal on the PC, I would say it was)
    If so, I would check the clip/project settings in the Ulead software (sorry I'm not at all familar with this programme) to see if it needs setting to 16:9.
    If this can't be changed, how about trying to turn a short clip into a widescreen DVD if this "output" option exists?
    You can view this with WIN DVD or perhaps burn a test DVD-RW.

The loss of extreme left / right of the image on the LCD does just sound like overscan of the LCD display and is a bit of a red herring.

3. Alias

Alias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    johnjackthom : Yes , the Plasma is set to Wide mode. I took you rfurther advise I used Tmpgenc to encode an MPEG2 file and the TMPGenc DVD Author to create the vob files and played this in Power DVD and it was widescreen. I just have to work on the quality now as it was jerky and needs some fine tuning

4. Alias

Alias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rather than starting a new thread , I thought I woudl resurect this one, seeing my question is along the same lines.

I havent had a lot of time till now to play around with authoring my first DVD of my Widscreen footage I have recorded. With Christmas just around the corner I thought it might make a nice present for the grandparents of a DVD of my young son.

Using various resources on the net I have followed numerous guides and have been able to capture the footage to the PC in 16:9 ratio, then convert to mpeg2 using tmpgenc again using trhe widescreen settings, but when I burn the dvd and play on my DVD player, I get a letterboxed image. My camera is Sony DCR-PC109E. I was hoping that there woudl be people who have already had these problems and resolved them and woudnt mind sharing with me there step by step process.
    I's really appreciate your help ( so woudl my son's grandparents!!)

cheers.
    Alias

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have successfully done 16x9 DVDs

Camera is to be in 16x9 mode not letterbox

Your encoder must not be set up for any black bar trimming (converting L/B to 16x9)

Also encoder must be set ot 16x9

6. Alias

Alias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - thanks for the quick reply. My camera is in 16:9 mode.

Im using TMPGEnc and under settings, Advanced, I have this set to 16:9. Im not exactly certain where I check to see if I have set up correctly regarding your last point about black bar trimming. Do you also use TMPGENC?

thanks

7. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    what template are you using in tmpgenc ? if you're using SVCD, then it cannot support an anamorphic picture (altho some players might play it back) and thats why it's letterboxing. if you're using a dvdr template, then there's a setting wrong somewhere.. there defo should be a template for anamorphic dvdr mind. if you're not being offered a template, then you must be using a pretty old version, so best to upgrade it. i'm sure your NLE (videostudio still?) can encode well enough to dvd, and as you'll be working with the footage, it'll know how to handle the source. well.. maybe. it is a ulead product afterall :p

personally, i don't use tmpgenc anymore... its just not that good. the better alternatives are Canopus Pro Coder (expensive-ish but fairly easy to use) and CCE (very expensive, nightmare for your average pc user to use) but if you've no qualms with the picture quality, then theres no problem.

8. Alias

Alias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply..i was using a dvd template, though I think I had one of the settings incorrect. I think im gunna stick with TMPGEnc until I get a bit more experience I would like to experiment with other programs/tools and I would be all for improving PQ, but at this stage I think im still treading watter!!! :D

After a few more coasters, I have been able to burn a test dvd and it was in widescreen..yay!!..though it had no sound when I played it on my dvd player :( When I played it in zoomplayer it did have sound, so now I am scratching my head about that. I used TMPGEnc again and it created Untitled_0001.m2v and Untitled_0001.mp2 files. I then used these as inputs in TMPGEnc DVD Author. I played the vobs direct and also loaded the DVD in Zoom Player and all was sweet. When I burned and playe din my dvd player, no sound.....any ideas?

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sound - you are using MPEG sound and your amp does not recognise it, but the DVD is outputting it.

Try using the analogue outs from the DVD player - ie override digital out - or try the TV speakers.

With TMPGENC I have converted Anamorphic DV, anamorphic Hi8, to anamorphic DVD. I have also converted 4x3 Beta and L/B MPEG1 to anamorphic MPEG2 by removing x amount off top and bottom.

10. Alias

Alias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MartinImber - thanks for your reply. I suspect you have hit it right on the head. My amp normally indicates on the display what sort of audio is being recieved, but when I played my test DVD it did not display anything. In another attempt I did use AC3Machine to convert the extracted wav file to AC3 - 2.0 , which produced an .ac3 file, but I could not see with TMPGEnc how to use that file as the audio input, hence I went back to the MPEG audio.

thanks again for everyones input as with this and some persistence from my end I seem to be makign some ground.