16:9 anamorphic mode, overscanning or not?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Italo Tettoni, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Italo Tettoni

Italo Tettoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wonder if anyone on the forum can shed any light on something I've just recently observed which puzzles me. I calibrated my TV using the DVD Platinum DVD and on standard modes (4:3/14:9 zoom/16:9 zoom etc...) the geometry test pattern (gridlines with circle at the center and circles at the 4 corners) appears perfectly contained within the viewing area but when I use the 16:9 (anamorphic) geometry test pattern and set the TV to 'widescreen' (anamorphic) setting, the circles at the 4 corners get slightly cut-off as if the TV is overscanning.

I hired a different DVD player to the one I have at home and got the same result (ruling out my DVD player) and I went today to my local department store and tested the same test pattern pattern on one of their TV sets on the anamorphic (widescreen)
    setting with similar results. Can anyone explain why the patterns should behave this way? Is there actual overscanning happening on the anamorphic (widescreen) setting or is it just the way the pattern appears on this particular setting?

Italo

2. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this could well be.
    which telly do you have?
    try to find service codes for it somewhere on the web and try to correct this.
    wish you a lots of fun