15M RuiPro Hybrid Fibre Optic HDMI cable; 5V?

tpw318

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am looking to replace the QED Cable (QED QE6024 15m Performance Active High Speed with Ethernet HDMI Cable) I currently have. Its 15m in length which goes to a projector. I understand the QED Active HDMI I have requires a 5v supply from the HDMI in order for it to do its magic. Currently the magic is sound and no picture :) which isnt that helpful.
If I replace with one of these I have been reading about: RuiPro Hybrid Fibre Optic HDMI cable - The Media Factory
Will it also require any 5V from the HDMI output to do any magic or will it work?

I want the cable to support 1080P and also 4K content.

Thanks for any experience here.

My 15m Ruipro just plugs into HDMI sockets at either end. It doesnt require an additional power injector. But @Joe Fernand can better advise you on any limitations or additional power requirements. Mine is rock solid, very very happy with it.

From Ruipro4k specs: Low Power Consumption: 250mW (max).(Power extracted from HDMI source, no external power required)

In theory, the 5v that is available from the HDMI sink end is sufficient to adequately power the cable. There are some instances, especially as the length increases that you may need to use a voltage inserter, which supplies a constant 5v to the cable, and is inserted between the cable and the HDMI input. It does require an external power source tho. The Ruipro4k cable is a very well built cable with few, if any, issues. It should work just fine.

As above there is 5v on the HDMI signal bus - which for most installs will be sufficient to power the chip set in the RuiPro4K cable, occasionally it is not and you have to add in an external 5v power inserter.

In our experience we are talking one in every couple of hundred systems where RuiPro4K is being used will require an external power inserter.

Joe

Ok perhaps I will get one and try it out.
Looking to connect in from a Matrix with one of the sources being SKYQ. I believe there is an issue with the power from the HDMI on the SKYQ box which is why my QED cable is not working correctly. hence asking the questions on the Ruipro cable.
Having said that I would have thought that the matrix would provide output to the HDMIs connected to power them if needed, but maybe thats my limited understanding.

SKY Q > RuiPro4K > Display - at 15m I would not expect you to require an external 5V PSU.

SKY Q > Matrix > RuiPro4K > Display - again I would not expect you to require an external PSU, though without knowing the specific Matrix that is hard to predict 100% as not all Matrix follow the 'rules'.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom