15m 'Everything' HDMI cable..

JSH333

Novice Member
Hi all,

I'm looking for a HDMI cable of around 15m that supports anything I could possibly throw at it (with current kit, Pioneer SC-LX701 to a LG C7 OLED). So I'm thinking [email protected] 4:4:4 capable, which appears to mean fiber.

Looking at the following cables:
Kramer
Ruipro
Liberty

Any reason to pick any over the other? The liberty needs USB power which is a little annoying but
if that makes it the better choice for any reason?
Also do these all support ARC? I can see the Ruipro does...

Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers.
James

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

I'm looking for a HDMI cable of around 15m that supports anything I could possibly throw at it (with current kit, Pioneer SC-LX701 to a LG C7 OLED). So I'm thinking [email protected] 4:4:4 capable, which appears to mean fiber.

Looking at the following cables:
Kramer
Ruipro
Liberty

Any reason to pick any over the other? The liberty needs USB power which is a little annoying but
if that makes it the better choice for any reason?
Also do these all support ARC? I can see the Ruipro does...

Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers.
James
The liberty, with provision for USB power, is the only one attempting to make The HDMI spec.
The HDMI 5v line is only required to supply 55 milliamps, some devices supply more, some don't.
The liberty has an LED, if it lights, it means there is enough power supplied by the connected devices and it can steal some.
If it doesnt, you use the USB to get power to it.

Any active device stealing power from this 5v line is out of spec and wont work with devices that supply the minimum 55 milliamps.

That means the kramer and Ruipro.
With these two, throw a device at it that doesnt have the extra power to steal and they wont work.

Regarding ARC, these are HDMI over fibre extenders , and like all extenders a certain amount of processing is happening to the signal.
This takes time and may introduce delays that cannot be corrected over ARC.
Most extenders dont do ARC so if its not mentioned it most likely doesnt do it.
Relying on ARC with these solutions is maybe not such a good idea.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Haven't tried the Kramer.

As Andy says Celerity utilises External Power - Ruipro steals power.

Being a Hybrid cable (Optical for Video and Audio to the Sink) plus Copper from the Sink to the Source or Repeater for DDC, EDID, HDCP and ARC the Ruipro are a seamless installation into any system and add no delay to the system startup or status changes (switching Sources) - which is not the case with the fully Optical solutions.

Ruipro does offer ARC - I've not utilised it too often as its buddy CEC tends to be best left disabled on most systems, not had any questions about it from Customers either (that may be that they are not using it).

Ruipro every time :)

Joe

JSH333

Novice Member
Thanks for the comments guys.

Just to confirm why I'm asking about ARC..
My main application is for gaming and I'm a bit concerned about input lag via the receiver. Plenty of info on TVs regarding this (My C7 having great response) but none on AV receivers. So, my thoughts are if theres an issue with lag via the reciver, I'll run my conolses/PC via a switch box with a direct connection to the TV, then use ARC for audio to the receiver. I suppose i could achieve this via optical if the hdmi arc was an issue.

Following to my next question... Joe you mention delays on fibre, are these just switching issues? Because as mentioned, any increase in latency to normal running is hell for gamers...

Thanks

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
ARC - the big hassle is really around having to enable CEC and some (many) systems not operating too well with CEC enabled.

Optical - offers the same signal capabilities as ARC so either direct from your Source, via the TV (note some TV's may limit you to 2-Channel audio only) or from a suitable HDMI Switch is a very viable option.

Fibre cables - the delay is when you are starting up from Standby or swapping Inputs on your TV/AVR/Switch.

Hybrid Fibre - no delay and currently outperform the Fibre cables with some of the higher bandwidth signals.

Joe

JSH333

Novice Member
After reading a few more reviews, I think I'm going to give the Ruipro a go.

Thanks again

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I find the Ruipro to be far easier to integrate into systems, introduces no switch on or Source switch delay and in tests they have been more reliable with 2160p 60Hz with 4:4:4 chroma processing.

Joe

DodgeTheViper

I find the Ruipro to be far easier to integrate into systems, introduces no switch on or Source switch delay and in tests they have been more reliable with 2160p 60Hz with 4:4:4 chroma processing.

Joe
I've been 'loosely' reading up on Fibre HDMI and particularly this one that you mention, Joe. I must be due a Projector change some time soon and this cable would be top of my list.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom