1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

15m component cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by steveparf, Mar 28, 2005.

1. steveparf

steveparf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, i`m a newebie so go easy! :)

I need a 15m component cable to run from my toshiba sd230 dvd to infocus x1 projector. I have been through loads of posts and they cost either 20 pounds or 120 pounds. I have a budget of about 60. So the highly recommended Mark Grant ones are unfortunately out, but I could probably do better than a 20 pound set of eBay.

Have been on VDC online and looked at their standard van damme 750hm cable (110-273-114), available for around the 50 mark. What are your thoughts on these?

Any help wpuld be greatly appreciated,

Cheers, Steve.

2. paulflowe

paulflowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Canare do a good cable. Might be expensive to ship over to the UK, due to the weight of circa 50' of cable, but you pay for quality. Not in the same league as big B (like I have used,) but good nevertheless. The RCAP phonos are very high quality.

Use appropriately adjusted URL:

http://cgi.<famouswebsite>.co.uk/ws/<famouswebsite>ISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64631&item=5747374139&rd=1

You could also try the likes of TVcables, Keene, etc.

Paul.

3. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I was in a similr position a couple of months ago mate...take a look at http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180588

In the end, the order for the Van Damme cable didn't go through so I ordered the Audioquest from HiFi Store...but that didn't come into stock in time either:(

After a chat with the guys at HiFi Store about how desperate I was for the cable they offered to make one up for me but it would cost a bit more (about £130). I told them I simply couldn't afford it as I was already over budget on cables so they just said they would do it for the same price as the Audioquest plus knock off the shipping charges as I sounded desperate;)

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
  5. steveparf

steveparf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the links guys. :thumbsup:

They are both routes that i could possibly take, but is the Van Damme from VDC for 50 notes a good option? :cool:

Cheers, Steve.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,933
    stevparf

3 x 110-273-114 should be fine - we tend to not go much above 10m with YUV from a Home Theatre (consumer) source; your relying on the driver circuit in your source device being up to the job.

If your happy with three individual cables then the 3 x 75 ohm is your least expensive option - we normally supply one each of Red, Green and Blue to make cable ID easier.

If you spend a little more on 268-305 you have a 5 core Multicore that can be re made for RGBHV should you ever require it; or you can use it for YUV + 2 x Composite or YUV + S-Video (with adapters).

Best regards

Joe

PS Keep in mind you have PnP on top of the price your seeing!

7. steveparf

steveparf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Jo,

Is the 268-305 cable better quality than the standard 75ohm coaxial if i only ever plan to use it as a component cable? Which core shouild i go for?

Also can these be made up with connectors for me as it is a bit beyond me and what sort of cost would it be (ideally the mini).

Sorry about or the questions but i`m a bit out of my depth here.

Cheers, Steve

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,933
    Hello Steve

268-314 (4 core), 268-315 (5 core) and 268-306 (single core) all have the same capacitance - so should be identical over long runs (they are all recommended for use up to 100m with an SVGA signal).

268-304 (mini 4 core) and 268-305 (mini 5 core) have a lower figure and are recommended for up to 30m with SVGA).

We often use the mini 4 and 5 core up to 15m with no problems - though given the choice and the space I'd use the standard Multicore if you can; though they are pretty thick.

If your sure you will only ever require YUV then 3 x Single cores or 1 x either the Standard or Mini 4 core will do the trick; its obviously easier running the Multicore cable.

Keep in mind the 5 core cable only carries a small cost premium per meter over the 4 core cable.

These cables are all built to order so its not a problem ordering them pre terminated to suit your system requirements.

Pricing has to be done off line to abide by the Forum rules.

Best regards

Joe

9. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i use a 50 feet belden 7710 which is basically three 1694A cables together i got it from bluejeanscable they are pretty nice and if the custom value is big subject for the tax issue if you kindly ask them they can mark the value less then it actually is (they are terminated with canare rca connectors btw)
    take a peak at www.bluejeanscable.com

10. steveparf

steveparf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

Joe, how should i get in contact with your company to work out a price?

Again, Thanks for all the help. :thumbsup: