155" (16:9) Screen Material BOC or similar

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mllxgar2, Nov 21, 2017.

1. mllxgar2

mllxgar2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi guys I need your help!

I want to build a fixed projector screen, for my dedicated cinema room.

I can control the light,

My main concern is budget and limited availability of material.

I was originally wanting to buy black out cloth for its brilliant price:quality, but I cant find anyone who sells it at a size big enough. I need 343cm (135.1") x 193cm (76") (155" diagonal) I used the forum to pop down to Dunelm mill but there max height is 54", PSM dont do this size either

Please can anyone help

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,490
    The material needs to be over 76" tall to be stretched over a frame of that size, so you may need to find something like Spandex which is very stretchy and may come in larger sizes (59" is common and can probably stretch enough for your frame). You will probably need two layers, either two of white, or white over black.

Try the search and see what people are using. The stuff I used works well but can produce a moire effect in some bright scenes. It's not enough to be a problem but is something I'll get round to changing at some stage.

3. dhts

dhts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Just in case you've not considered it but as you refer to a dedicated cinema room have you thought about a scope screen rather than a 16:9 one ?

4. mllxgar2

mllxgar2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    without sounding like a numpty, what is a scope screen?

5. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Wider aspect ratio, 2.40:1 rather than 1.78:1 (16:9). Benefit is wide-format content is shown without black bars letter-boxing the image and a more cinematic experience. This is at the expense of a smaller 16:9 image though.

6. dhts

dhts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I'm the official forum numpty if you don't mind.

So think those black bars you get at the top and bottom of a movie on the tv - it's because most movies are in scope or broadly 2.4:1 aspect ratio, and your tv screen is a 16:9 aspect ratio. All (well in-reality all) tv's are 16:9 but with a projector you can choose whatever aspect ratio screen you want. If you watch lots of movies a scope screen makes more sense - so a scope movie would fill the screen nicely, and then when you watch a non-scope movie or a tv program you zoom the projector in so that the picture fills the centre of the screen and you'll get blacks bars on the right and left rather than top and bottom where they are less noticeably.

Some projectors have a special feature to help with scope screens so that you can easily swap between watching scope films and non-scope ones.

The other thing you should consider if doing a dedicated cinema room is having the speakers behind the screen, rather than to the side. This really helps the presentation as the sound is coming from the picture rather than outside. The acoustically transparent screen is made from special fabric to allow the sound through. There are DIY options which aren't expensive.

7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,490
    So that 16:9 movies don't look too small, you may want to move your seats closer so the image size is visibly larger. A good rule of thumb is to have your seats set the same distance from the 2.4 screen as the screen is wide. So if the 2.4 screen is 135 inches wide, you have your seats 135 inches from the screen.

If you already have the pj, you can experiment by projecting various aspect ratios and sizes onto the wall as well as experimenting with different seating distances to see what works best for you.

8. mllxgar2

mllxgar2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry guys, not posted any updates of how I got on, I went with 2 layers of Spandex, black back layer and matte white front

I used 3/4" x 4 wood to build the frame.

I painted it black to not show behind the screen,

I added LED beading which can be switched off,

I painted the back wall,

Total cost approx £125 and 1 month build time lol

Attached Files: