150w halogen dimming by remote.....

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by baseborn, Sep 9, 2003.

1. baseborn

baseborn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I have just purchased two 150w halogen ceiling lights, and have been informed by the store i bought them from that i will require a dimmer switch that has a transformer to allow them to be dimmed. What i require is a remote controlled dimmer to control them, and to be able to control each light independently i.e, a double dimmer unit. I would prefer this to be finished in brushed steel, or otherwise in white.

Any suggestions??

Cheers

//base

2. Kris

Kris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,851
  4. Kris

Kris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The nice thing with the Futronix dimmers is that by one quick touch it will dim/increase the light to disired level AND, this is the best part, dim/increase at your chosen speed. This without you needing to push and hold to dim/increase, nice! :D

//Kris

5. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +538
    Futronix are excellent dimmers, but do require a neutral wire at the switch.
    So if you are running the wires, this will not be a problem etc.
    Lutron do a nice switch, but you would need two as they only control one light each etc.
    Do a search, as they may now do a two way one etc.
    The picture below is the single switch.
    [​IMG]

6. pwafer

pwafer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Baseborn,

Trying to be as unbiased as possible, but..... if you after a dimmer(s) that can be added to as and when your lighting scheme grows, why not have a look at www.rakocontrols.com.

The system is radio based and allows you to control 1-15 channels/circuits/zones per room and each house can have up to 255 seperate rooms address... enough for even the larges of properties.

The dimmers are either hidden away in the ceiling or used in-line for free standing lamps.

Which ever system you choose, make sure you put those 150w tungsten lamps on a dimmer... it will save you a fortune in replacement lamps.

Regards

Paul.

[​IMG]

7. Kris

Kris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmmm nice dimmers... But is it possible to set what speed it will dim/increase the light? So if I press the button once the lights smoothly goes on with my disired speed, and ofcourse the same for dimming?
    Instead of ordinary dimmers that you have to either press and hold the button or turn a knob...
    If the Rako does this I'll buy a set...

Was looking at the Futronix programable dimmer until this...

//Kris

8. pwafer

pwafer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Kris,

The dimmers are factory set at 3 seconds, so they smoothly dim between the programmable scenes, rater that you having to keep your finger pressed like your typical domestic 'touch' dimmer. With the PC software however you can change the INDIVIDUAL scene fade times from 1 second to 1 minute.

Paul

9. Kris

Kris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This looks good! So I can program a dimmer to dim or increase the light with a PC so it everytime I push the button it goes from 0 to 100% or the other way around in for example 5 seconds?

Where do I buy these? Can't seem to find this information on the website...

Thanks for the superb information & help!

//Kris

10. Kris

Kris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much are they? Is there a pricelist somewhere? What exactly do i need if i want one programable dimmer which i want to be able to change the dimmingtime on?

This opens up a whole new world in dimming for me and my friends :D

//Kris

11. pwafer

pwafer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Kris,

You'll need one dimmer for each circuit of lighting, they are available in 250w and 500w versions. (RDL250C & RDL500C)

To control the lighting levels and set the preset 'scenes' you'll need a control/wall plate. (RCP07W)

To be able to change the fade rate from the factory 3 seconds, you'd need the PC serial=>RF interface and software (RASOFT kit)

Have a look at this 'smart home' website www.playhaus.co.uk it will give you pricing information.

If you have technical questions or just need some impartial (as impartial as I can be anyway :cool: ) advice, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Paul