1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

150k to 600k

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by dbrad, Jul 11, 2003.

1. dbrad

dbrad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have 3 pc's on a network all linked to the web via a router, when im online gaming i noticed spikes in my ping and the game lags, because the other 2 pc's are on the web.
    i currently am on 150k NTL b/b, if i upgrade to 600k b/b will my ping be more stable while online gaming?

2. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes :cool:

better upload speed plus better download speed = more bandwidth

boogie man
    :clap:

3. Maff UK

Maff UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I concur, the more bandwidth you have, the less you'll notice the other 2 being on the web at the same time as you're playing... do it.

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Ask yourself....

Do you really need it?

Is it worth the extra £7 a month?

Will your pings in MOH be that much less?

Have you asked the gaffer?

;)

5. mutation

mutation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    more bandwitch = less lag ..

unless theres bottlenecks on that particular server in which case you might be knackered anyway ...

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Depends on what the other 2 PCs are doing, normal web acccess ie browsing web pages should have very little impact on your connection.

More Bandwidth does mean less lag. It does have an effect when you are talking about the difference between 56k and 150k, but will make no difference between 150k to 600k. Once you exceed the bandwidth needs for a game your ping is determined by the technology/ISP you are using and how many gateways you have go through to reach the destination server.

If the other PCs are downloading, then you may want to see if you can throttle their downloads as this will kill your connection. Some routers will allow you to limit bandwidth PCs, or you can ask the other users to limit the P2P software they are using or get them to use Getright to throttle downloads.

Otherwise if they are streaming data (video, large flash apps), then get more bandwidth, this will quicken up the streaming lessening your lag spikes.

7. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    There is a massive difference between 150k (120k ?) and 620k on NTL in my opinion. Downloads / latency is much improved. I know someone on 150k, it dosnt compare to be honest.

And browsing the web dos`nt use much bandwidth ? Well it does if your are using IE !

Anyone who wants to come on a UK DOD server with their 150k line and compare it to mine are welcome to. I gurantee it wont be any where near.

In my opinion 150k is hardly enough to support adequate online gaming (Especially if you are playing on US servers) if you are just connecting to one P.C. let alone 3. Anyone tried getting a decent playing experience from Planetside on a 150k line for example ?
    Or playing a decent FPS with 20 players with voice over IP. No way it works right on a 150k line. Or Playing XBconnect at any level at all !

Essential purchase in my opinion especially considering that most people have to pay £29.99 to BT / Freserve etc.....

My Mrs and I were talking about this the other night. We reckon at £24 its an absolute bargain for the amount we use it. I have xbox, laptop downstairs and pc upstairs going through a router connectected to my 620k NTL BB. Even with the Mrs downloading, browsing the web and me playing online on the P.C upstairs or Xbox downstairs I rarely get any lag, and never if I go on the right servers.

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    I have no problems playing MOH on GS on 150K.

Ping can be as low as 30 sometimes and is nearly always lag free.

9. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    20 - 30 players with voice over IP on 120k ? I doubt it. Try Planet Side. It dosnt work well at all on 120k lines.

And I imagine HL2 will be pretty heavy on the bandwidth as well.

If you are happy with it great. Personally for something that gets so heavily used it is easy for me to justify the extra for a much better connection.

10. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    20-30 players on MOH is just pure MAYHEM and a waste of time IMO.

I usually stick to a max of 16 players.

I don't use voice over either.

11. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Fair enough fitness for purpose and all that. My point was its not up to many of the benefits Broadband Gaming can offer.

Incidentally you would not be be able to play 10 - 16 players with voice over IP on a 120k line.

Too much impact on the upstream. Lag.....

Voice is important for me for proper team based play as it is with many people.

12. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

So you say ??

So when i download some files from my site "which is not my isp a hosting company" when i had a 1mb you can get of speeds of 130kb sec + is that not the same then ..:confused:

Boogie man

:smashin:

13. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,770
    lol, this just goes to show you haven't a clue what's going on. What has ethernet got to do with this discussion?

14. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/ethernet.htm

Because ethernet is the networking technology you use to connect your X-Box to the internet. TCP/IP is the protocol and X-Box Live is the service.

Boogieman depends on the type of download, most places now download on a seperate port to HTTP. So you tend to find they dedicate more bandwidth to downloads, whereas old port 60 for HTTP is slow as it is shared between lots of users.

DavidT is pretty much correct that web access, ie browsing web pages is pretty much the same at 150K as 1Mb. This is mainly due to most pages being optimised for 56K users rather than the vagaries of international servers. Downloading files and streaming data is different to surfing web pages (you can include flash sites in that as large flash apps are effectively streaming, and Java apps too).

It is true to say that if you experience a slow connection with 150K to a page like www.cnet.com then you will experience a slow connection with 600K. It will likely be due to a bad server (hop) along the way.

Little impact on the upstream as you are still only sending your own data. If a game is coded correctly then you should notice little difference. Voice coms is very bandwidth efficient as it only records a small frequency range and is compressed, I used Roger Wilco on my 56K fine years ago while playing games.

The bottom line is that 150K is fine for playing, but totally inadequate for hosting.

15. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,770
    Sinzer, I'm well aware with how all this works, but ethernet doesn't really have much to do with the current debate with the speeds we're talking about. So somebody using the words "Believe me I know how ethernet works" shows, IMO, their level of knowledge.

16. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Hehe, it is a little enthusiastic :)

The theory was vaguely correct :p

17. MikeTPC

MikeTPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have dual 64k ISDN at work and a 1mb pipe at home.

I notice quite a difference in web browsing between the 128k and the 1mb and obviously with downloading too, when it comes to ping in games however it becomes less noticeable. At work I can ping 50-60 to a good UK server and at home to a good UK server I can ping 20, however I don't actually see a difference, 50-60 is plenty good enough anyway.

When I had 64k ISDN at home I would ping 80 to a good UK server so on a shared 150k service as long as you reserve half of the bandwidth to the gaming rig it would be plenty.

18. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    some people are getting ping confused with bandwidth here. they have next to nothing to do with each other.

Put simply, you can liken ping and bandwidth to a harddrive's seek time and throughput.

"ping" is simply the time it takes to send/recieve one piece of information - just as the seek time is the speed that a hdd can find its first piece of info.
    "bandwidth" is the amount of info you can push through that connection in a given time - just like a drive's throughput.

You can have two drives with identical throuputs, but if one has a seek time of 3ms less than the other, it will substantially outperform the other.

Games never use much bandwdith at all, meaning that it has next to no bearing on online gaming. For gaming, ping is everything.