Promoted 15 Years of Yamaha Soundbar

Yamaha Home Audio UK

Standard Member
AVForums Sponsor
Reaction score
0.png

THE ERA OF ENTERTAINMENT

We are celebrating 15 years since the launch of our first Soundbar YSP-1, which represents the cornerstone of our Digital Sound Projector technology.
Ever since the launch in 2005, our soundbar products have continued to evolve to follow one goal: Upgrading your TV sound to make you feel what we at Yamaha call True Sound. Sound as it was meant to be heard.
Let´s take a closer look at a few milestones along the way!​

1.jpg

Everything started here.

The Digital Sound Projector was the world’s first system to produce realistic 5.1 surround sound from a single unit. Individual control of 40 speakers installed into one body, formed the sound into beams.
By bouncing the sound off walls, a realistic 5.1 surround sound was created without the need for rear speakers. As a completely new kind of front speaker surround sound system, it opened up a new market for home theater systems.
2.jpg

The first appearance of the intelligent sound beam.

Thanks to our exclusive IntelliBeam feature, complicated speaker setup and confusing cabling were no longer necessary to enjoy the advantages of multi-channel surround sound with accurate image localization.

3.jpg

Our first compact soundbar

With our YSP-500 we were ahead of our time and closer to 2020 than we believed back then: Measuring only 61 cm wide, it was the most compact soundbar in YSP history – still holding 18 speakers inside its small body.

4.jpg

Yamaha's next Digital Sound Projector provided many new great features like HD Audio decoding, 1080p-compatible HDMI (4 in/1 out), numerous listening modes and the AirWired™ technology for iPod/iPhone.

6.jpg

We want more bass

The following year, another milestone: The YSP-2200 was the first two-unit model with external subwoofer, featuring an even more efficient installation and improved sound quality.

7.jpg

Who needs wires?

Not the YSP-4300 – Our first YSP with Wireless Subwoofer, 22 Beam speaker and a powerful bass.

8.jpg

Hello future

Our first App supported YSP-1400 that is operated by smartphone that comes with a with built-in Subwoofer, Surround Sound and Bluetooth Music transmission.

9.jpg

Flagship milestone

The first Soundbar in the world with Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. 3D Surround sound from a 44-speaker array in a total 46-speaker configuration and last but definitely not least: the first soundbar including our Multiroom solution MusicCast.

THE YAS SERIES

10.jpg

To compliment our YSP series, we further developed the category that we invented, to introduce our affordable YAS series. Even with a smaller budget you can turn your living room into a cinema and fully immerse yourself in your favorite movies.
Including built-in Alexa voice control, DTS® Virtual:X™ virtual 3D surround sound, a wireless or build in subwoofer and Bluetooth® streaming all in a simple, sleek setup.

11.jpg

C20A

The times we live in these days, gives “high quality sound at home” a whole new meaning. It is more important than ever to develop products that seamlessly integrate into your home, whilst retaining an exciting cinematic performance.
Our answer is our new compact soundbar the C-20A. One small sound bar for your home, one giant leap for your home entertainment. This sound bar can do what TV speakers can’t. With room-filling, immersive sound from all directions, you’ll instantly feel the difference.

And the Story continues

To read more about Yamaha's ‘15 Years of Soundbar’ story, CLICK HERE

For further information on the Yamaha range of Soundbars, CLICK HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
Eagerly awaiting for eARC upgrade on YSP5600, without this...Atmos is meaningless, for last 4years I have been listening to a compressed audio in name of Atmos.

You won't get eARC for the 5600, as the hardware can't support it. I asked Yamaha about this a while back, along with the lack of support for DV/HDR passthrough. It's a pity, because the 5600 is otherwise an excellent lump. I have the older YSP4100 and would love a 5600, but the lack of features now found on newer kit makes it a non-starter for me. There were rumours at one point of the 5600 being refreshed, and I found one article suggesting that the new model would be called the YSP5800, but I've seen nothing since.

If you need eARC and DV/HDR passthrough then you need to look elsewhere. Canton is supposed to be offering an updated version of their DM10 bar at some point, which I hope will retain the multiple HDMI inputs, and if it does, will make it a contender as a replacement for my YSP4100. If not, I have no idea what to replace it with when it eventually goes to that great electronic graveyard.

You won't get eARC for the 5600, as the hardware can't support it.
If Hardware can't support it then how come 3rd party devices such as SHARC Audio is able to send full bandwidth audio from eARC source to to ARC soundbar? TV eARC> SHARC(accept eARC Data) > ARC Soundbar.= Result TrueHD DTS:X

I asked Yamaha about this a while back, along with the lack of support for DV/HDR passthrough. It's a pity, because the 5600 is otherwise an excellent lump. I have the older YSP4100 and would love a 5600, but the lack of features now found on newer kit makes it a non-starter for me. There were rumours at one point of the 5600 being refreshed, and I found one article suggesting that the new model would be called the YSP5800, but I've seen nothing since.
Agreed, When I bought this soundbar seller told me if there will be any new soundbar after these then there wont be much difference but upgrade in HDMI and ports only, because existing speakers of Yamaha sounds soo great. That's why I am not going for other brand as they are not sounding as Yamaha.

If you need eARC and DV/HDR passthrough then you need to look elsewhere. Canton is supposed to be offering an updated version of their DM10 bar at some point, which I hope will retain the multiple HDMI inputs, and if it does, will make it a contender as a replacement for my YSP4100. If not, I have no idea what to replace it with when it eventually goes to that great electronic graveyard.
Ambeo is in list but it's way too expensive and HDR DV passthrough is a still problem for them, buggy. Canton you mentioned also lack eARC in their top soundbar.
I had to spend additional $500 to make Yamaha 5600 passthrough HDR DV from Xbox to TV. (HD Fury devices)

I feel the same as you, can't replace it with any other brand.

For what they are ..how good are the built in subs?

Last edited:
It appears Yamaha have abandoned the high end soundbars on which they were the pioneers of, and settled for entry level. The YSP-5600 is about 5/6 years old now and no sign of a new high end model. I have a YSP-4300, but want to upgrade to something newer. The Sennheiser seems to be the only real upgrade from a YSP-4300/YSP-5600, but hear to many issues that people have with it

The whole market is a mess, IMO. Most sound bars on the market lack a decent selection of HDMI ports and use wireless subs. Support for eARC is patchy, made worse by TVs not fully supporting it. Manufacturers seem to have made the decision that everyone now streams everything so connectivity and support for older codecs like DTS-MA are no longer required, which of course is the standard audio encoding for many BR discs.

I suppose that Yamaha has had to join the pack, and took the decision to support music streaming instead, which is easier to deliver overall. Odd though that the YSP5600 is still being sold, which to me suggests that the market for products like this is still there and that Yamaha is still making it. Very odd.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom