15 Year Old Pioneer Plasma Replacement

Dan.Scott1234

Hi Everyone,

First post here in a long time! So... we're moving house soon and I'm thinking it may be time to bid a sad farewell to my faithful old friend, a Pioneer PDP-436XDE.

We've had it, I believe, through 15 years, 6 houses, 2 kids arriving, Freeview, Sky HD, Virgin Tivo, Sky Q, DVD and Blu Ray and loads of consoles and it's never put a foot wrong - it cost a pretty penny back in the day, but I'd rather buy well and buy once if that makes sense.

Over the years I've seen so many TV's at people's houses that look plain weird - odd colours, odd movement, and just looking 'fake', whilst our good ol' Pioneer always just looked right - so we forgave its sins of resolution, power consumption, slow UI and not being able to select a specific input via an OSD. Chromecasts have made it 'smart' and it's Freeview tuner hasn't been used in quite a long time!!

So.... what can replace the old girl? I think 65" or 55" at a push (see if I get a pass on 65 from the boss). There are so many I don't know where to start!! - my Wife saw the Samsung Frame's that took her fancy, however, I'm not sure if you're taking a big hit on the panel quality for the frame 'feature' - I'm also not sure if it has Freeview/Freesat, as I'm considering dropping SkyQ when we move as I just don't get the value from it as we mainly watch Netflix these days, so having an integrated tuner would be good.

Edit - I've also ordered a Sonos Arc as a moving house present to myself :) So if whatever you recommend can play nicely with that for the HDMI ARC pallava, that would be greatly appreciated!

What do you think? Can you give me some models to narrow down the search? Thank you in advance for your help!!

vickster

Distinguished Member
Budget?

vickster

Distinguished Member
Take a look at the guide.
Oled closest to plasma but not so good in really bright rooms, or if going to be watching lots of programmes with logos due to burn risk (may not be an issue as used to managing with plasma)

Dan.Scott1234

The LG CX I think I've seen in some of my searches online - just googled and it appears the C1 is replacing the CX - so hopefully a chance of a deal or 2...

Any opinions on the Samsung Frame range (2021), just because the boss has taken a liking to them...

vickster

Distinguished Member
The LG CX I think I've seen in some of my searches online - just googled and it appears the C1 is replacing the CX - so hopefully a chance of a deal or 2...

Any opinions on the Samsung Frame range (2021), just because the boss has taken a liking to them...
Overpriced, like all 2021 TVs now.
I think there’s an LG GX which is neater looking

Overpriced, like all 2021 TVs now.
I think there’s an LG GX which is neater looking
Price match RS with this shop you can get a free soundbar:

bobflunkit

I’m sorta in the same boat as you, regards age and technology of current tv and budget that I’ve got at the moment.

2021 tvs are going to be a bit pricey, 2020 models are out there and along with some great prices

Dodgexander

The frames are mid range Samsung TVs akin to the Q70T. I'd go for one of the OLEDs in the guide. Coming from a Kuro probably the Panasonic HZ980 or Sony A8.

It will take some getting used too, motion in particular will stutter more but the advancements otherwise should more than make up for it.

Dan.Scott1234

The frames are mid range Samsung TVs akin to the Q70T. I'd go for one of the OLEDs in the guide. Coming from a Kuro probably the Panasonic HZ980 or Sony A8.

It will take some getting used too, motion in particular will stutter more but the advancements otherwise should more than make up for it.
Do you have any thoughts on the Sony OLED implementation vs the LG / Panasonic?

Dodgexander

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom