15 pin RBG on Panny = VGA?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Swinnydon, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Swinnydon

Swinnydon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering whether the 15pin RGB socket on the Panny ae100 is also VGA or whether it will take a VGA input from my dvd player? :confused:

edit Oh, and is it just a standard VGA or S-VGA cable that I need?

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The AE100 will not accept an RGB signal from a DVD player, Sky Digital etc... over it's VGA/15 pin D-sub connector.

Frequency limitations etc.....

3. Swinnydon

Swinnydon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh? :confused: Just that the specs on the Techtronics site says that it's a 15pin RGB!

I'm not too fussed about RGB anyway. I'd actually like to connect DVD VGA to Panny VGA, then Sky scart-s-video with a few things daisy-chained into the Sky box. Will that work?

4. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Swinnydon,

your problem here is that there are two types of RGB at play! The type of RGB that comes out of a DVD player or Sky box is RGBs. This means that the synchronisation signal is being sent down the composite video pin out of the scart socket and the horizontal frequency of this signal is 15.625Khz.

The type of RGB that the VGA plug on the Projector wants is known as RGBHV where the synchronisation signal is sent down independant horizontal and vertical pins. The H frequency for this usually starts at around 30Khz.

What you want is a projector that can understand RGBs so that you can make up a scart to VGA lead for it where the composite video pin is connected to a sync pin in the VGA plug. The projector will also need to be able to recieve 15.625Khz horizontal frequency. Off the top of my head the Sanyo Z1 and the NEC HT1000 come to mind as projectors that have this feature (the relevant scart-VGA lead is an option on both).

In some cases you can use a converter to convert the RGBs into RGBHV but bear in mind that the H frequency will still be 15.625Khz so the projector will need be able to accept this (something we do in a lot of plasma installations but not a lot of projector ones).

HTH

5. Swinnydon

Swinnydon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Liam.

What about if my dvd player is actually equipped with a VGA 15 pin as opposed to a Scart (it is a chinese player-Xindak XDV2100)

And how about the option of Sky non-RGB scart to S-video?

6. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    The signal coming out of the DVD player may or may not be RGBHV. In fact, it is more likely to be carrying component video as 15 pin sub-D connections are a favorite in Japan and USA for connecting up progressive scan DVD players, and HDTV sources to plasma screens and projectors. The only way to know is to check (and translate!) the manual.

The Sky to SVHS is only possible if the Sky box is outputting SVHS type signals but AFAIK only Sky+ and one model Grundig box do this and even then it is via a separate SVHS socket.

It is possible to convert RGB to SVHS (£75 converter) but it is also possible to convert RGB to component (£145 converter) and connect the Sky to the projector via component connection.

7. Swinnydon

Swinnydon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Liam.

It says in my manual that the output is VGA. Since the panny says PC in on the 15 pin, I assume that it's possible to input VGA? :confused:

Also with the Sky box, I have the panasonic Sky box. I'm not sure whether this can output in S-video mode. I have ordered one of those scart-S-video adaptors from RS and am wondering whether that'll work. If it doesn't would it be possible to connect it up to my tv (Tosh 32zd26) by scart as usual, then use Scart2 on the tv which is in/out s-video and conncet Scart to S-video to the pj?

Sorry about all the questions. Didn't really do much research on the pj before buying it from Sound and Vision.