15 Pin D-Sub Connections

ZippyCat

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question.

I am currently designing the distribution system on a commercial building. I am looking to use the 15 Pin D-Sub connections on multiple plasmas to display information from a central computer (multimedia notice board). Am I correct in assuming that 5No RG6 cables will be required to each plasma location to carry the R, G, B, H & V signals? Have I missed something baring in mind the computer use, e.g. no control signals as this would be an expensive mistake? :thumbsdow

Regards

ZippyCat

Basically right but RG6 is thickish and fairly inflexible, especially for 5x. RG59 is better (a little) but RG 179 (I think it 179 not 178, can't remember) might be worth investigating as a sub min coax 75 ohm.

Thank you Nic,

The RG6 wasn’t going to be terminated into a 15 Pin D-Sub plug, but to 5 separate BNC wall mounted outlets as part of the buildings infrastructure. A 5 BNC to 15 Pin D-Sub cable would then be used for the final part of the termination. As this is a new building, the thickness of the RG6 will not prove a problem, as this will be installed on the dedicated containment routes with the rest of the services. I do however take onboard what you say about the RG 178/9 and will investigate this option. The foremost consideration will be the integrity of the signal.

Regards

ZippyCat

If you can use RG6 or RG59 I would always use that, many can't and you memtioned HD15s which would be a no no. BNC and breaks out etc sounds like you are doing it all correctly.

Thank you Nic!

While I’m on the subject, I’ve also got to distribute stereo audio to some of the plasmas, namely the bar. These are to carry audio from the Sky feed for football matches etc. The client wants to use plasmas with inbuilt speakers rather than separate audio amplification. Am I correct in assuming the best type of cabling for this would be a twin 50 Ohm coaxial? Before you ask how I will be distributing the Sky video feed, this will also be done over the R, G, B, H & V feeds. The Sky RGB output will be converted using a suitable video converter e.g. QED or JS Technology RGB to HD15 converter. I can’t stand it when TV / Projector systems in bars use composite video feeds!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom