15 meter long HDMI cable for xbox

GOLFATHER76

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
15m can be a step too far for some Source and Sink (Display) combinations - Xbox or otherwise.

You can try a 15m HDMI cable - it may work for you.

I'd also run 2 x CAT6 as a backup as you may have to go with an HDMI over Twisted pair solution if the 15m cable causes problems.

Joe

GOLFATHER76

15m can be a step too far for some Source and Sink (Display) combinations - Xbox or otherwise.

You can try a 15m HDMI cable - it may work for you.

I'd also run 2 x CAT6 as a backup as you may have to go with an HDMI over Twisted pair solution if the 15m cable causes problems.

Joe

Sorry i am not too clever when it comes to cables LOL

what do you mean by CAT 6 :confused: Do you mean ethernet cable ?

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

pompeydean

Sorry to jump on your thread, but this is what I'm planning to do soon. Will it work just as well with cat5, as I have this as opposed to cat6?
Cheers

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
CAT6 is preferable if you’re planning on carrying 1080p - though not necessarily a 'must have' as CAT5 will work in many installs!

Ideally if you have still to install the CATx cables its best to give them a pre install test - that will let you know if you should go with CAT6 on your install.

The length of CATx cable you are planning to install is also a factor!

Joe

pompeydean

Joe Fernand said:
The length of CATx cable you are planning to install is also a factor.
It'll only be about 6 metres, do u think this should carry 1080p?

So I guess you mean set up with the 6m cat5 cables and see if the tv says 1080p?

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
It'll only be about 6 metres, do u think this should carry 1080p?

So I guess you mean set up with the 6m cat5 cables and see if the tv says 1080p?

The TV won't say anything if it doesn't work you will either get a perfect picture, horrendous pixelation if the recieved data is extremely marginal or most likely absolutely zilch. The X BOX may not even offer 1080p as the display signals what input standards are available.

MarkWhit

Hi :hiya:
i am running a 20ft hdmi lead for my xbox and can say from my problems here, xbox works fine on the 720p very good image on our 50" plazma, but forget trying to run 1080i or 1080p it will not work as i am trying to sort this current problem and now looking in to the cat 6 way.

My son is currently playing on the xbox now transdformers 3 and to be very truithfull it a very good hd image, i dont think 1080p will improve it that much.

My sky hd runs on the 1080i only and good at 720p, but my blue ray player will not run on that lengh at 1080p but its happy at 720p.

Hope this may help, the cable i brought has a 1.3b speck metal braided and all gold internal connection, cost laster year i think was about £38-42

pompeydean

grahamlthompson said:
The TV won't say anything if it doesn't work you will either get a perfect picture, horrendous pixelation if the recieved data is extremely marginal or most likely absolutely zilch

My tv will display the picture quality when the source is changed, ie when I select sky it will say 1080i, and when I select ps3 it will say 1080p, so hopefully i'll be able to tell that way.
Or are you saying that it simply won't produce any image if it can't carry 1080p??

GOLFATHER76

WOW that's excellent response from everyone, Thank you very much for your help

i managed to sort out my setup & gone for 10 meter HDMI cable, Ill let you know if i have any issues

Thank you

Sal

pompeydean

pirateboy said:
Hi :hiya:
i am running a 20ft hdmi lead for my xbox and can say from my problems here, xbox works fine on the 720p very good image on our 50" plazma, but forget trying to run 1080i or 1080p it will not work as i am trying to sort this current problem and now looking in to the cat 6 way.
Thanks for the advice, I've decided against the hdmi route as, like you've experienced, the longer cables seem to make the quality deteriorate. I already have the cat5 cable, and the hdmi -> Ethernet switches, so really just need to decide if I should buy some cat6 instead.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom