1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

15" LCD Recommendations

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by gilesm, Aug 8, 2003.

1. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, wonder if anyone out there has any recommendations on 15" LCD screens. I only want to be able to watch TV on it, no DVDs, and it needs to be quite small (oh and the missus says stylish too). Went to Comet the other day and saw a Sony, Samsung, Philips and Toshiba - all 15". I thought the Sony looked the best (style wise) although it was difficult to see the picture quality as the arial signal was split so much that the picture was barely watchable on any of them. Also couldn't really tell what the sound was like as they'd got too other booming TVs and Stereos.

I was tempted with the Sony (found reasonable price on the web), until I read that Comet gave it an D for picture quality, and it only has 4W output - is that enough to fill a room 11 foot by 13 foot?

Anyone got any thoughts?

2. Gregorski

Gregorski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've seen the philips running with a digital signal and the picture was pretty good. Very vibrant colours. Have you considered a 17" widescreen one which I think is about the same height but in widescreen format ?

3. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The panasonc 15" is really good with excellent sounds quality and loud!!

4. Gregorski

Gregorski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I wasn't specifically recommending the Philips by the way. Just noting that I'd seen it and the picture was good. The Panasonic LCD's seem to get "best buy" ratings in a lot of magazine and web sites, and certainly the 22" one looked nice that I saw. There is a thread relating to one called Relisys on this forum which seems to be highly rated too

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    ...but is unsuitable for use where the TV is sited above the viewer as its vertical viewing angle below the horizontal is about 10 degrees only. It is also a 16x9 set which makes it less suitable, at present, for 'just watching TV' - unless you are accompanying it with a digital STB.

Many LCD TVs (the Panasonic IS in exception) have fairly poor onboard audio - simply due to the attempts made to keep the cabinets small (which is, after all) the plus of LCD. One option is to also have a pair of cheapish self-powered speakers (the type often used with PCs) and run these off the headphone socket. I have a cheap pair of 'Grundig' branded PC speakers (GBP20 from Dixons). This set consists of two small flat panel speakers and a small subwoofer which also contains the amplifier. Works a treat with my LG TV.

6. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

I've given my opinion on Sony's portable LCDs in another thread but as for Comet's reviews, I would take them with a pinch of salt.

If you can afford it, go for the Pana!

7. Fulham Phil

Fulham Phil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless the Pana blows up, like mine did after 18 months (see earlier thread). To be fair to it, the picture and sound are (were) great and I should have it back in good health from John Lewis today, complete with new screen.

16:9 is fine and is miles better than 4:3 for the feeling of a decent size picture from a small box.

8. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks all for the replies.

Had a look at the Panasonic, and while the picture really did look great I couldn't justify £900 - £1000 for an 'occasional' TV. So I plumped for the Sony. Have got it home now, and it's sitting quite happily in the dining room. As I said before the rooms fairly small 11*13 and the sound is fine, and I really can't fault the picture either, from where I watch it (about 6 feet away) normal terrestrial TV it looks great, vibarnt colours and black blacks and no ghosting that I can see. It looks great as well - so my partners happy too.