15-20Metres 5050 Led Strips

iMaux

Standard Member
Hi guys! :)
I'm new in this forum (i've noticed that supraTTman is very gently and qualified)!
So i have a question (Or a lot of questions ahah):
I want to illuminate my room with rgb leds..
So i bought this:
Cheap Wireless Touch Panel Remote Controller for RGB LED Strip Light
(i've read that this controller can manage 216watt of leds)
And i've bought this led strip (x4):
eBay Italia - Aste online e shopping a prezzo fisso
And a bunch of cables and connectors..
So in this forum i've read about rgb amplifier each 5metres.. So my question is: What 220 to 12v converter (or inverter? I don't know the correct name in english) should i buy? how many watts? 216? more than 300W? And how many A? 30A?
And also.. my idea is this:
(I could connect 2 x 10m lines)
Converter (inverter) > controller ---> 1° line: led strip > rgb amplifier > other 5m led strip
---> 2° line: controller > led strip > rgb amplifier > other 5 m led strip

It's possible to do? It's correct?
thanks a lot :)

EDIT: 60Leds/m

(And sorry for, probably, grammar mistakes, i come from Italy :) )

Last edited:

supraTTman

Banned
Hi iMaux,

Welcome to the AVForums - there's lots of useful information on this site so do have a good dig around - I've learnt an awful lot and tried to give a bit back.

I have come across that LED controller a few times but the spec's are quite confusing so i'll dig out some info so as to clarify the RGB amplifier requirements, then give you some guidance.

(And sorry for, probably, grammar mistakes, i come from Bolton ! :laugh:)

iMaux

Standard Member
Hi iMaux,

Welcome to the AVForums - there's lots of useful information on this site so do have a good dig around - I've learnt an awful lot and tried to give a bit back.

I have come across that LED controller a few times but the spec's are quite confusing so i'll dig out some info so as to clarify the RGB amplifier requirements, then give you some guidance.

(And sorry for, probably, grammar mistakes, i come from Bolton ! :laugh:)

Thanks for the reply :)

Searching on ebay i found this: CENTRALINA CONTROLLER LED STRIP IR 12V 24V TELECOMANDO TOUCH A COLORI RGB | eBay
That is (probably..) the same controller as the one i bought!
It says that the output power is 18A/9A for 216 watt..

And i also read about this equation to calculate the size of power supply (Amps):
(Length of LED Strip x LEDs per Metre x LED Power) / 12

So if this equation is correct for RGB led i would have for 16metres +/- 21A
Could be correct?

Ahahah, yeah the same thing Italy and Bolton :rotfl:

supraTTman

Banned
The LED controller you purchased is rated at 5A/channel = 15A total.
Using W=V x I, then for a 12V system, the controller can handle 12V x 15A = 180W.

The power supply requirements are dictated by the total length of LED strip used (as the controller itself draws very little power). 60/m RGB strip is normally rated at 14.4W/m so for your 4 lots of 5m strip, the power needed is 14.4 x 20 = 288W. We can use the same formula above re-arranged to calculate what this means in Amps.
Using I=W/V, I=288W/12V = 24A.

So you need a 12V 24A 288W power supply.

The 24A of current is the current that the 20m of LED strip will need when running flat-out=bright white=all LED's ON.
Assuming that the R,G & B currents are fairly similar (which they usually are), then this 24A total equates to 8A/channel.

However we already calculated that the LED controller is only good for 5A/channel, therefore you will need an RGB amplifier to make up the other 3A/channel.

So you will need a 4A/channel, (12A total) RGB Amplifier (3A/channel not very common).

With this set-up, the LED controller will be happy driving 2x5m strips and the RGB Amplifier happy driving the other 2x5m strips.

You will need to dual-feed all 4 strips to prevent dimming, and, more importantly to prevent strip burn-out. See my website (Technical section) for more information and typical wiring diagrams.

iMaux

Standard Member
Really really thanks man :)
I ordered everything I need (as you says)
Now I have to wait until they arrive from China.. (italian's post service.. TOO SLOW)
When i will try to connect everything i will write here :) (everything will be ok, i hope :D)
thanks, thanks, thanks :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom