1440x1080 max inport to sony vegas9 problem

mikebuddy2

Standard Member
I recentely downloaded a trial version of Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinium 9.Importing my HDV footage from my Canon HV30 into the programme only allows me to import to a maximium of 1440x1080 which works out at about 3 to 5 MBS(M2T files).I have tried everything but to no avail.I know my Canon outputs to a maximium of 1920x1080 @ 25MBS.Why would i want a wateredown version of my footage to work on?
I have used Cyberlink Hi-Def Suite to transfer my footage to Blue Ray (not able to edit on this programme unfortunately)and it uploads at 25MBS to the Disc and gives perfect copies.I am using firewire to transfer.Am i missing something here,Any thoughts very welcome,
Thanks mikebuddy2

A n d r e w

HDV is 1440x1080, not 1920x1080. As for the bitrate that Vegas is employing, where are you finding that information? Are you sure you're not confusing megabytes per second with megabits per second?

mikebuddy2

Standard Member
OK,it's coming back to me now,my Canon HV30 down converts the 1920x1080 to 1440x1080.The question still remains that if HDV records at a max of 25mbps then why is Sony Vegas only recording at a max of 3 to 5 mbps(megabytes per second).to a M2T file.This figure of 3 to 5MBPS can be seen on the bottom of the programme screen as you import the video to your HDD.I only started to use the programme yesterday so mabie i am still missing some setting for downloading.Even so there is a difference in quality with the cyberlink copy to Blue Ray.I am sorry that i do not know the difference between Megbits & Megabytes,although i'm pretty sure it's Megabytes Per Second.Thanks for your clarification,you guys rock.

A n d r e w

HDV is 25 megabits per second, which is equivalent to 3.25 megabytes per second. Why there should be any appreciable quality difference I'm really not sure. Hopefully someone who edits with Vegas will pop along to help you further.

mikebuddy2

Standard Member
Ah,now i gotcha.What was throwing me was the 25MBPS that Cyber-link was recording to my Blue Ray Disks.Now that i am using sony vegas and looking at the mt2 files they are really quite clean and very little compression artifacts,so i will stick with these files for archiving my HDV footage on HDD and save money not having to fork out €15 a pop for 25G discs that only hold approx2 hrs.of footage.
Thanks again for your help
Happy camper! :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T9/X Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom