Question 1440p Graphic Card?

shaynzka

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've been away from PC gaming for many years. Preferred consoles, however I dislike all the these next generation consoles which are huge. Going back to PC. I can build a Mini ITX gaming PC that looks much better with better hardware.

So I was looking at...
1440p 144Hz Monitor
NZXT H210i
16GB RAM DDR4 3200MHz (2x8GB)
Ryzen 3600 CPU
Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Motherboard
Fractal Design 660W 80 Plus Platinum Fully Modular

Now my questions are...
1. What's a good graphic card to purchase for 1440p to play latest games on high-maxed out settings on higher frame rate above 60?
Getting hold of 3070 and 6800 XT are a nightmare. Would a 5700 XT be fine?
2. With the PSU being platinum what does this mean? 660w; will it use this all the time resulting to more electric bill?

1. What's a good graphic card to purchase for 1440p to play latest games on high-maxed out settings on higher frame rate above 60?
A 5700XT would be fine but I would hold out for a 3070 for longevity
2. With the PSU being platinum what does this mean? 660w; will it use this all the time resulting to more electric bill?
The ratings on a PSU are how efficient they are. For example, a 750 watt PSU at 100% load will only output 80% at 100% load (so it will pull 750 watts from the socket, but only use 600 watts to power components, with the rest being lost to heat/noise).
A 650 watt gold PSU will output 87% to components compared to what it is pulling from the socket (about 580W).
Platinum is obviously higher than gold so should be more efficient

A 5700XT would be fine but I would hold out for a 3070 for longevity

The ratings on a PSU are how efficient they are. For example, a 750 watt PSU at 100% load will only output 80% at 100% load (so it will pull 750 watts from the socket, but only use 600 watts to power components, with the rest being lost to heat/noise).
A 650 watt gold PSU will output 87% to components compared to what it is pulling from the socket (about 580W).

Any ideas where I can get 3070 from without going through the ridiculous price on ebay?
So would the 650 platinum PSU be fine for 3070?

Any ideas where I can get 3070 from without going through the ridiculous price on ebay?
I have a 650 watt gold PSU with a 3070 and it is fine

You have it the wrong way round, the quoted power rating of a power supply is how much power it will deliver to the attached components.

So a 750W @80% efficiency would be pulling nearly 940W from the mains running flat out.

You have it the wrong way round, the quoted power rating of a power supply is how much power it will deliver to the attached components.

So a 750W @80% efficiency would be pulling nearly 940W from the mains running flat out.

So if I went with the 660w PSU platinum would it consume more electricity compared to either Xbox Series X or PS5 with 4K TV?

It depends on the components and what it is doing.

Quick Google Xbox Series X around 150W when gaming.

A PC will probably use more than this when gaming, but it depends on the components. When it is just sitting idle then it would normally be drawing a lot less.

A PC power supply is rated as the maximum power it can put out if needed. However, if the PC only needs 50W then that's all it will pull out. In the case of efficiency, a PC requiring say 50W at idle on an 80% PSU would draw 62.5W from the wall. If during gaming it went to 250W then it would be drawing 312.5W from the wall. The difference is lost in heat.

If you use a PC power calculator, that should be the max power required, however most of the time it will be lower.

If you download the 'Telegram' App and then add this channel: 🔥 3070 PartAlert it will give you alerts for 3070 stock at various retailers. I think 3070 stock is actually starting to improve so you should get one fairly easily with this.

Xbox Series X isn’t huge at all, I was pleasantly surprised when I got it that it wasn’t a behemoth, it’s nothing at all like my PC. The whole console itself is less than a centimetre taller than that 3070 card you’re looking at, everything is supremely well packaged inside there there’s no wasted space. It’s really as small as possible and still keeping cooling under control and making it run close to silent.

PS5 is very deceptive in terms of size because of how slim it is, there’s no denying that it’s a very tall lad but it’s only 5% more than a Series X, the digital version is actually less total volume than the Series X, 6.4L compared to 6.86L Series X.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom