1408 Blu-ray Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Andrew Mogford
1408 is a strange choice to adapt for the cinema. The source story is so brief as to be inconsequential, and through necessity the filmmakers have added much to the meat of the original. This, sadly, proves to be a mistake as what we get is as much soap opera as it is horror. This is an even greater shame, as the opening half hour promises much – with great performances and subtle shocks preparing you for more than the film actually manages to deliver.
This rather disappointing feature is provided with a superlative, subtle sound mix that enhances the atmosphere greatly, and a video transfer that is very disappointing – with little to impress.
The extras package is substantial in quantity, if rather lacking in quality – and the film is provided in the director’s cut version which provides an alternative ending to the cinematic version. Whether this is worth an upgrade or not will depend on how much you enjoyed the film on the first viewing. However, if you are new to the film I would recommend a rental first to all but the most avid of King / Cusack collectors – the latter should pick this up without hesitation.
Read the full review...

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
I'm interested to know why you gave the pic score of 4 out of 10 and yet other places give a very different score and review, was the difference setups so varied or peoples eyes so different ?...

quote from digitalaudiovideo.com "The Blu-ray is presented in 2.40:1 widescreen and encoded at 1080p/ AVC MPEG-4. This is a reference disk, hands down. Absolutely every scene is pristine and perfect. The colors, the black detail- everything is mind blowing. The action scenes do look amazing in high definition. There is no chroma noise, no film grain- there are no problems."

http://www.digitalaudiovideo.com/bluray_reviews_15076.htm

82/100 for video basically 8.2 out of 10.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14535424#post14535424

Video:
The movie didn't impress (or scare) me, but the 2.35:1 1080p video transfer is quite beautiful. It boasts rich blacks and a high level of shadow detail. The image has excellent depth even though most of the movie is set in a confined space.
http://hddvdreviews.blogspot.com/2008/09/1408-blu-ray-disc-mikael-hafstrom-2007.html

rebel_scum

Distinguished Member
I just watched the Dutch blu-ray, had it on the shelf for ages. The blacks in that are rock solid, as is the transfer. I don't see the US disc being significantly different. :confused:

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
I just watched the Dutch blu-ray, had it on the shelf for ages. The blacks in that are rock solid, as is the transfer. I don't see the US disc being significantly different. :confused:

The dutch blu-ray is a better transfer, but even at that, the US is still very good.

Andrew Mogford

Novice Member
I have not seen the Dutch disc, but just had a quick trawl round the web to see some reviews of the US disc (I don't read other reviews before writing my own) and I would humbly suggest that the comments in the reviews I have read on picture quality do not tally with the marks given. One site, for example, is extremely harsh on the picture in the comments and then gives it 3 out of 5.

I will read the links you have posted up later (I have a severe case of manflu at the moment) but I do know for a fact that the Dutch disc is regarded as being significantly better than the US disc.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom