1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

>14 Mbps Internet? HD streaming to Europe

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by balazer, Jun 13, 2004.

1. balazer

balazer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a very fast Internet connection here in the U.S. If you're in Europe and you have a very fast connection also (>14 Mbps) and you'd like to experiment with HDTV streaming across the Atlantic via the Internet, contact me.

If it works, we could even arrange to transmit some live U.S. HDTV programming to you. There are extra points for anyone who also has a DVB receiver card and a Ku-band dish that can see NSS7.

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Fantastic offer, but I doubt you'll get any takers from the UK as we only have a measly 2-3Mbps max on our ADSL services :( However, my provider does allow 'bonding' so I'm gonna see if I can get 6Mbps (3x2Mbps) service tomorrow.

3. balazer

balazer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You won't find a >14 Mbps connection to the home in the U.S. either. I expect a person would only have such a fast connection at work or on campus.

4. pietnoeck

pietnoeck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    8 Mbps over cable is maximum.
    But I have NSS 7 and DVB card !.
    For the moment I looking at the Euro2004 football in HDTV !

5. morphman

morphman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    8 Mbps over cable is maximum.

Rubbish.

You can get 10mbps full duplex on telewests current infrastructure, as many hundreds managed to hack their cable connections and set to this a while back. Telewest have now encrypted their config servers so its no longer possible, and they caught everyone who did it, but it is definateley technically possible.

6. jprada

jprada
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Piet
    NSS7 is now encrypted with RAS. Any ideas?
    I got the new Quali-tv box for Euro1080 with irdeto embeded and a card. Unfortunately my SX21 does not like 1080i@50hz. I hope a firmware update can fix that!

Balazer
    Perhaps a satellite connection could provide such a bandwidth? Here ADSL is 2MB maximun, and very expensive.

7. balazer

balazer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't afford a satellite connection just to experiment with streaming video. I have actually found a couple of people with very fast connections at universities.

8. Ronan

Ronan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have a 4Mb internet connection, a motorised Ku-band dish and a few dvb cards here. Hopefully I'll be upgrading the internet link to 100Mb in the next few months, so I'd be happy to try it.

9. beeblebrox12

beeblebrox12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The fact that you will have 100Mb or even 1 Gb connection from your home to your Internet provider is not relevant here. In my opinion 100Mb connection across the ocean at consumer level prices is at least 10 years away.

10. balazer

balazer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It all depends on whether your ISP limits your bandwidth in any way, and on who their upstream provider is, and who their upstream provider is; what kind of peering arrangements they have; what backbone links are available, how much congestion there is everywhere along the path - a lot of variables, to be sure.

Some early tests between Michigan and Sweden suggest that there is >25 Mbps of throughput available. Both ends were at universities. Internet2 might have been carrying part of the traffic - I'm not sure.

11. Ronan

Ronan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It's from my office, it's a 100Mb fibre interconnect to a data centre and from there I have a 100Mb connection to a Tier 1 ISP so it should be no problem getting 14Mb to the US.

12. Xevian

Xevian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I run a colo business and have around 300Mbit connectivity into a couple of racks in London, I'd be interested in ripping some streams, then take them home on my laptop to playback at home ;)

13. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In Sweden we have full duplex 100Mbps to the home, called fiber-to-the-home concept...

I think there are about 150,000 households that currently got that...

I got myself 8Mbps ADSL both directions.