14:9 on Sky

G

GWalmsley

Hi,

I have noticed more channels on Sky are now broadcasting in 14:9 (small black bars top and bottom).

My old Philips Matchline used to have a 14:9 mode but now have I changed to an NEC 42MP3 I don't seem to have one.

Does anyone know if it is possible to set the NEC 42MP3 to view 14:9 correctly?

Thanks

Graham

14:9 is not the mode where you have black bars at the top and bottom.

Black bars at top and bottom is a certain aspect ratio being shown. for example 2.35:1 1.85:1 etc etc

14:9 mode is where black bars are shown on the left & right hand side of the picture.

Not on anything I have seen aRCaM. 14:9 is the compromise mode when a 16:9 source is being shown on 4:3. Having a cut-off at the top and bottom changes the ratio.

Because of how many 4:3 sets are adjusted, it is not very noticeable. As GWalmsley said, on some widescreen sets, there is a 14:9 zoom to get rid of the top and bottom bars and have reduced side ones instead but some do not.

Chaps...

You are both right, on a 4:3 telly, the bars are very slight, top and bottom.

On my Panasonic plasma using the 16:9 ratio, the bars are left and right, but not as wide as with 4:3.

Hi,

I don't know what I am seeing then. I have the NEC 32MP3 set to 'full' which according to the manual is 16:9.

My Sky+ is set to 16:9 (just checked) and at the time of writing (18:48) I am seeing blank bars top and bottom on the Sci-Fi channel.

My Sky+ is in RGB mode and is connected via an IXOS Scart to 4 BNC cable to the RGB BNC inputs on the NEC.

I don't think it is a sync issue because not all channels are showing the black bars.

Graham :(

GWalmsley - I see the same for a 14:9 program expanded to 16:9. Just going to 16:9 only expands the picture horizontally and not vertically. To do that, you need a Zoom setting which your set may not have got.

Many WS sets have 2; both to lose the top and bottom black bars when a basic 4:3 picture is being transmitted in Letterbox 14:9 or 16:9. Hope this is clearer.

Yes, Thanks.

I have two modes on the NEC, Stadium and Zoom, I am sure one will fix it.

Graham

The people seeing bars at top and bottom on a widescreen display are obviously viewing the channel in some kind of zoom mode.

If you are watching a 4:3 program on sky and you have it zoomed/stretched/whatever, to fill the screen, when it goes to an advert in 14:9 and you dont change mode you will have black bars at the top and bottom.

My Philips 32" CRT has a mode for it, but not my fujitsu plasma

Hi,

I am viewing everything in 'full' mode which is 16:9 without any zoom etc. The picture is stretched to fill the screen without any loss of image.

For me to see black bars top and bottom they must be being broadcast.

I have tried using the 'zoom' mode but I end up with half the logos at the top of the screen which looks awful.

Graham

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom