1366x768 screen clarification

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Anteren, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Anteren

Anteren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I haven't been able to find the answer to my question anywhere so I hope someone can help me here.

I want to build a HTPC to be able to watch Digital TV (DVB-C) in both SD and HD. Also, maybe including a blue-ray/hd-dvd drive to further experience HD material. The proble is that I have a LCD-TV with native 1366x768 resolution (Samsung LE32M61) which doesn't have pixelmapping. So, it leads me to 2 questions:

1. Can I just buy a graphics card which supports 1366x768 and the hook my TV up through a regular VGA cable - will this enable me to see HDTV and blueray?
    2. Can I connect my TV through a DVI/HDMI connection and get HD (720p or 1080i) just accepting that the picture won't cover the whole screen, i.e. the picture is HD sharp, just not covering my whole screen?

So, what are my options to watch HD?

Thanks!

//anteren

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    If you check this link out the way to go is VGA http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/Samsung+TVs
    See "LE-xxMyy" and set your screen res to 1360x768 which is a PC res.
    I do exactly the same on my Tosh. It is set to 1360x768 @60Hz and driven by a NVidia 7600GT.

3. Anteren

Anteren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but will I still be able to watch HDTV and blue-ray/hd-dvd over a VGA connection? Don't I need a digital connection (such as DVI/HDMI)?

4. Stiggy

Stiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,043
    If you connect via DVI/HDMI and your graphics card can output at 720p or 1080i you will get a good HD picture that fills the screen on your Samsung. However, you won't get 1:1 pixel mapping so small text will look fuzzy, but you might decide you have live with it for TV.

I've got a Samsung and I decided I preferred the VGA option.

5. Anteren

Anteren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for answering, so what you mean is that I will get a perfect HD picture without pixelmappning 1:1, but ordinary computer work (text, web-browsing, etc.) will be "fuzzy". As I do not plan to work on my HTPC, just use it for Digital TV (HDTV eventually) and blue-ray discs - my PC not having pixelmapping is not a problem at all?

6. Stiggy

Stiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,043
    I'm not sure about 'perfect' but it should work OK as you describe.