1366 via Vga to dvi to hdmi ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by lambert, Dec 29, 2006.

Tags:
  1. lambert

lambert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

( simplified version of this question, can you have native res running from a pc to lcd tv WITHOUT a vga input on the TV ? If so how ? )

Now ive tried to research as much as I could without asking what must be a common question but I cant seem to find an answer ( well I think I have, but I kind of pieced together some info )

Am I right in thinking that the only way to get native resolution from pc to hd tv is via a vga to vga port ?

Ive bought a 37inch techwood lcd tv but it has no vga port :eek:( I have a dvi to hdmi convertor and got it running through that but it wont work on native resolution.

Now the question is ...

Is the actual TV components that wont work with a native resolution and so if a TV has a vga input it has different internal components that let it display 1366 x 768 pixels or is it that a dvi cable wont send a 1366 x 768 signal ?

Basically Im not sure wether to keep this tv or not as I really want native res for my pc.

Basically am I fighting a battle I cant win trying to get native res on a tv with no VGA inputs ?

Other options are component leads or hdmi to hdmi when that comes out. Does anyone know if that works ?

PS just got xbox 360 on and gears of war at 720p is just amazing and made me even more sure that I want native res running through my pc to the tv.

Any help very much apprechiated :eek:)

Cheers guys

Will :eek:)

2. masopauk

masopauk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In answer to your first question, YES. Or at least in theory it is possible, yes.

In practice it seems SOME people (difficult to determine whether this is a minority or a majority) have had problems which could be down to any number of variables: DVI-HDMI connectors/leads, HDMI connector on TV (some TVs seemed to be shipped with duff versions of this), graphics card - "stability" of output and ability to fine tune settings, resolution (of both PC & destination panel), and finally ability of TV's electronics to do its own tweaking.

Given the price of the Techwood I'm guessing the latter is pretty non-existent, so assuming HDMI-in on the set is functioning properly then it's *just* a matter of delivering the required signal - correct syncs, porches etc. This sounds complex and TBH is, but a utility called Powerstrip can do this for you and save a custom driver down that will always use the corresponding settings (not sure what happens at POST though).

So, what graphics card are you running? Have you used any fine tuning software e.g. forceware/catalyst/powerstrip?

3. lambert

lambert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers for the reply :eek:)

Yeah im using powerstrip but it wont let me create a 1366 x 768 resolution for some reason, maybe this is my graohics card ?

This is an ATI radeon 9800 pro 256ram or maybe 128 ram not exactly sure.

at the moment i have the tv running at 800 x 600 and its ok but Im really after pixel for pixel mapping.

The more I look into it the more Im reading that dvi wont send a very good signal for text or pixel for pixel where as vga doesnt seem to be a problem? Anyway Im sure 90% of people in thsi forum know more than me :eek:)

4. Buzz234

Buzz234
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    technically you should be able to use a composite lead (the naff yellow one) from your pc graphics card (or svideo if you have it) and input this into your TV. you may also require a scart adapter to have this go in as RGB1 for exmaple.

using your nvidia settings - choose to output "dual view" or you may want to use single view but make the TV your primary output device.

you will have to usually boot the PC *with* the cables connected in all the right places before using it - so the PC aknowledges the connection.

you can then play around with the nvidia panel or ati, and customze the output res.

5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,991
    I stand to be corrected on this, but I doubt you'll be able to feed the screen at native res via HDMI. Most HDMI inputs (except some of the Sony X or W series as an example) will overscan the signal. This is okay for video, but as a PC monitor it isn't very clear. My Sony 32S overscans via HDMI, but does 1:1 pixel mapping via VGA. Only the 1920 x 1080 screens seem to allow native res via HDMI. I think this is because HDMI is designed to work at 720 or 1080 only, so you only get native res if your screen is 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080.

If you feed the set from S-Video/RGB scart/Composite you will not get native res without scaling as they are all 'video' signals subject to processing by the TV. I found that 800 x 600 just about works via S-Video, but it is pretty blury on my Sony.

If you can output via component from your graphics card you may get native res, but I personnally haven't tried it myself.

6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,991
    Sorry...double post.

7. lambert

lambert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thats what I thought :eek:(

My last ditch attempt is a vga to component lead and see if that will do it but again i have read and experienced with my pc that you can only use a resolution that divides by 8, which is why the nearest resolutions i could create are 1360 and 1368 ( both divide by 8 ) so even if I had vga I couldnt export the right resolution.

8. AiEri

AiEri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    im really confused:confused:

my laptop doesnt hav a DVI output
    Will a vga-to-DVI then a DVI-to-HDMI convertor work>?

i want to use the 1080p on the sonyW as a pc screen.

9. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,991
    I'm afraid it won't work, because the vga output from your laptop is analogue, but the HDMI input is digital. The confusion occurs because you can use a DVI to VGA adaptor from a PC with a DVI output (if the DVI in question allows an analogue output through the respective pins).

With the W series you can only use 1360/8 x 768 via vga...not sure about the component inputs though.

10. masopauk

masopauk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're using ATI I think you'll have to stick to horiz resolutions that are divisible by 8, so try 1368 or 1360. The graphics card shouldn't be a problem though. You've already noted you've figured this out though.

DVI sends a cracking signal - it's the HDMI input and corresponding electronic gubbins that's the problem with some TVs. As KelvinS1965 says, some will only accept "standard" format HDMI resolutions. Unfortunately it's possible that the Techwood falls into this category. However, it may be possible to trick it into displaying a signal almost correctly.

Would need to do a bit more digging, but it's possible there may be a way of sending 1280x720 and NOT have it scale it (i.e. you'll get black borders - not ideal, but a better solution than poor quality scaling).

The only other option may be using component - it may be possible to convert a VGA signal to component although to be honest, not sure quite how to do it!

11. lambert

lambert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    so does 1360 and 1368 look ok ? like pixel for pixel or is it slightly blurred ?

Im getting well obsessive over this now even though ive been playing games and watching dvds fine on it so far, lol.