1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

13 Conversations About One Thing

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Squirrel God, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

This is an older movie (2001) but I couldn't find any posts about it when I did a search.

Details and trailers here:
    http://us.imdb.com/Title?0268690

I have to say, it's bloody marvellous. Top performances from the entire cast, including Matthew McConaughey, John Turturro, Amy Irving, and Clea DuVall (something about Clea I just lurve :devil:). Alan Arkin was the one that really shined for me though - he's just wonderful in this. The movie may not appeal to all due to its rather "indie" nature but, as well as the good acting, it's intelligently written and nicely paced. The movie's about a whole host of things that are revealed through a number of conversations (13 apparently but I haven't counted them to check this :D). Gradually, we realise that all the conversations are essentially about the same thing and everything is linked (don't worry, not spoiling it for you - it's in the title after all ;)). Lovely stuff.

8.5/10 from me :)

Got my R1 copy from www.absound.ca for £10 plus P&P :)

BTW, Macmullanbrush and Encaser should definitely check this baby out if they haven't already as it's right up their street :)

Love to hear views from anyone else that's seen it :)

2. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Interesting! I stumbled across a review of this movie on Roger Ebert's page at the Chicago Sun Times. (This site is pop-up hell but worth it for Ebert's reviews). He says: "The movie is brilliant, really. It is philosophy, illustrated through everyday events." and gives it 4/5 which is a high score for him. Looking forward to it!

PS. http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/2002/06/061405.html

3. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    This is a decent film with an, essentially, ensemble cast that works well together in and around Alan Arkin's central hold. Arkin always delivers the goods in his inimitable stoicism of style - i.e Gattaca, Grosse Pointe Blank - and plays both devil's advocate and opposition with guille. The characters tales are told in a back an forth movement; which some will like and others will no doubt denounce as new fangled indie rubbish, but it's not!
    The stories within do link and I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to say they basicly push for goodness. And in that sense, this film would ideally be viewed when feeling (I don't want to say faithless but) the need for some sign of kindness in humanity and/or why we should be so. It's maybe worth purchasing to view before Christmas when you should, more than not, be thinking that being kind and giving is the right thing to do and a little nicety can impact on people in a worthy manner - God I'm filling up.

A more devil-some review could of course suggest this is a film aimed at making people realise the consequence of their acts through conscience. And thus make people good in an attrite sense instead of truly wanting to be so, much like many supposed Christians:devil:
    You better be good, better be...

4. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I liked it too

Cheers Squirrel

5. Miss Lovelace

Miss Lovelace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    13 conversations about one thing. It's like when I'm at my hat making classes.

6. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112

Strangely chauvinist thing for a woman to suggest women talk through their hats:eek: :p :D

7. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    Will have to check this one out, cheers SG