12v trigger....help!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by khandley84, Jun 15, 2015.

1. khandley84

khandley84
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Looking for a bit of help... I know there are lots of topics on here as to how to automate a screen from a 12v trigger. I have the opposite problem, I've just changed a BenQ w1070+ for an Epson EH-Tw5200 which I didn't realise had no 12v trigger out.

Is there a quick fix alternative to give me a 12v out when the projector comes on. I currently have the 3.5mm jack and power cable running to my ceiling mount as per picture.

Cheers

Kev

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434390007.305723.jpg

2. razy60

razy60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +322
    In one of the threads I was reading, the Sony vpl-hw40es owners thread I think, someone had a similar issue they used a harmony remote or similar which was set so that when the PJ was switched on it also set the screen to run. Hope it helps.

3. mca

mca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I wonder if you could use the USB socket on the back? Assuming the USB socket gets power once the unit is on then you could use a DC-DC converter (USB plug-in like this here) and then you'd also need to connect a jack socket to that to connect onto you existing cable. It also assumes the power output required by the screen is a constant voltage and not a pulse. If constant then I'd assume the screen rolls back up once the power goes. Don't know for sure at all, just throwing the idea out there...

4. paulr2006

paulr2006
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,508
    Pretty sure the USB socket would be useless as apart from anything else USB is 5 volts

5. mca

mca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Oh, why's that?

I did mention a DC-DC converter...

6. paulr2006

paulr2006
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,508
    Sorry did not even realise one existed! however I would be surprised if it could offer sufficient current from a USB socket? are they not usually very low current?:)

7. mca

mca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    From memory a USB port is supposed to supply 500mA but, yes, that would probably be the issue I suspect.

I'm sure the DC-DC converter will take a fair amount of that current away in order to more than double the voltage but I don't know how much would be left. Then there would be the less available to use to send down the cable over whatever distance it is and be used by the load (the screen) at the other end.

That Epson does have two USB sockets so potentially more power available but who knows... it was just an idea... may be of use in other situations...

8. meridianman

meridianman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    you need to get a sense plug , normaly you would use one to say switch all your monitors and printers ect off when you turn your pc off , see link below

IntelliPlug from HomeEnergySaving.co.uk

Then when you turn your projector on the unit senses the current draw and turns the other sockets on , into which you plug a 12v psu and connect this to your trigger cable and viola you have an automatic trigger!!

If you need assistance on the wiring post back.

Meridianman

9. khandley84

khandley84
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Meridianman. That's the first workable solution other than completely re-wiring my setup to make use of an IR/RF transmitter and receiver...

I had hoped to get some kind of 'in line' solution, but I don't think such a thing exists.

Cheers for all replies!