• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

12v Trigger help. Optoma HD131XE.

johndeere2013

:)Hi, I hope one of the brains on the forum can assist me. I have an Optoma HD131XE & Optoma remote screen. The pj does not have a 12v trigger on it ( i never knew this prior to buying as I assumed all new pjs would have this). The screen does have a 12v trigger & cable. I am hiding the screen in a pelmet & want to control it via a 12v trigger if possible?? Surely there must be a way.
Relay box or something??

Is there a way of doing this at all? Please help.

johndeere2013

How do u do it from amp? You mean amp straight to screen? How do u control the screen only when you want to watch movie on big screen? Thanks

Yeah screen trigger straight down to the amp what's under it
Well to my amp I got me consoles and sky.So the projector is never used without the amp been on but I can't see why the remote still won't work

johndeere2013

I use the amp all the time for normal tv viewing & when I want to watch movie I want the screen to come on, I do have a 12v on my amp but I don't see how I work it so it only comes down when I want to watch movies & retract when I go back to normal tv viewing.

johndeere2013

Thought not, the ideal way is from the pj itself to screen then the screen will come down when I turn pj on no matter what I'm watching. Is there no other way to do it if there is no 12v on the pj itself? Must be a way. Please help

Idle Bull

I've read about (but can't find) current sensing 12v triggers, which you put in line with the projector power cable and it senses when the PJ is turned on.

However, if you use something like a Harmony remote, you could buy a cheap IR relay and use that to activate the screen when you turn on the projector! Shouldn't be too hard to wire the relay to provide a constant 12v supply to the screen trigger. Saw this one in another thread 2-Channel IR Remote Receiver Mini Kit | UK Velleman MK161 | Quasar

Thread here Automating electric screen without 12v trigger | AVForums

Nick

johndeere2013

That's not a bad option. I am getting a harmony 1 remote in the next few days. I'm not good a tech stuff, using that option mean I can have everything hidden & just control the pj with harmony & screen will come down & retract when pj turned off? Thanks

Idle Bull

That's not a bad option. I am getting a harmony 1 remote in the next few days. I'm not good a tech stuff, using that option mean I can have everything hidden & just control the pj with harmony & screen will come down & retract when pj turned off? Thanks

Hi,

I'm no expert at electronics but suspect a few on here are, but it looks to me like that module can be set to "toggle" so when it receives and IR command it will switch the relay to closed until the next IR command opens it again, so it should be easy to rig it so you get a constant 12v feed to the screen trigger.

the Harmony would be programmed so that as part of an "activity" it would send the command to drop the screen. For Example, and activity of "Watch Movie on Projector" would turn on projector, activate the screen trigger, turn on Blu-Ray, turn on AV amp etc.

Then program the Harmony to send the code to retract the screen when you hit the off button on the remote (which generally turns everything off).

I've only had my Harmony for a couple of days, so still getting to grips with it, but it seems very straightforward to program. Have to say, it's made the whole home cinema usable by wife and daughter and is very impressive (as well as de-cluttering 6 remotes!)

Nick

johndeere2013

I am in now way any good with electronic s. If someone on here can tell or show me exactly what I need & how to do it I would much apreciate it. Many thanks. Can't wait to get harmony remote, 6 remotes is nitemare. Kids & Mrs should be able to work it all better with it.

johndeere2013

I think I can get this kit for around £10, I know an electrician that could do the soldering etc so this may be the way to go. Can't see any other way?

Idle Bull

I've just re-read your initial post - am I right in thinking the Optoma screen has a built in IR sensor?
It would be a lot easier just to get an IR extender inside the pelmet (it also gives you the option to house other components out of site) and just program the Harmony to control the screen via it's own remote sensor!

Nick

johndeere2013

That would be good yes but the it signal won't get through the pellet, it has an ir sensor on front of screen casing but to use that I would need to put a hole in front of pelmet and to use the extender I would need to get an extender from somewhere & have it showing so the signal will get to it? That right?? Cheers

johndeere2013

Hi. I bought it from the forum & the person I bought it from said it came with everything but when I opened it up it was not there, I have asked him several times with no answer.

johndeere2013

Does anyone on here have an ir receiver they don't use or need for an optoma screen? Might try & place it near the slit in the pelmet so it can receive the signal, might be best & easiest way to do what I want? Thanks

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
Hi

does the screen have a 4 core control cable?

if so I use a 12v trigger relay unit to control the screens using the trigger output on your pj, its very easy to do as well and the wiring is simple to understand

send me an email if you still need help and I`ll do my best to help you out

cheers Allan

johndeere2013

Hi, no there is no 4 core control cable. Remote control, 10m trigger cable. That's it. Any thoughts. Looks like I may just need to put hole in the pelmet & use the remote. Really didn't want a hole.

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
well the only thing I can think of is that Draper do an Auto Link system that is for problems like this

just Google it and you`ll see how it works

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
I`m just thinking of ways round your problem which isn`t really a problem tbh, just use an external bullet ir receiver and away you go if that's all you want
try looking at Keene Electronics

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom