12v trigger from AV32

lovegroova

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have an AV32 bp5.1 and am currently contemplating a Krell KAV250a/3 power amp.

Judging by how hot the thing gets, even when not 'in use' I guess it must be using up a fair amount of electricity. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to switch the amp on along with the AV32 using its 12v trigger input (the Krell, not the AV32 which AFAIK, doesn't have one)

Currently I keep my Rotel RMB1095 on 24/7 as it doesn't use much electricity when not making music so it's not an issue. If,of course, someone can advise if I am mistaken about the Krell's consumption, then all will be well.

Thanks for your help fellas (and ladies).

Hi....The KAV does have a moderately high idling current by the standards of most Class A/B amps,and as far as I can remember,has a Class A driver stage,but really won't use a lot of power when idling in overall terms....as I've said before,when you get down to the older Class A Krells,then you really are looking at a serious power demand,with the ones I have drawing over 500-600W at idle per channel.
The simplest way if you are concerned would be to actually measure the electricity usage at your meter in kWhrs with and without the amp on.
Hope that helps!

You would need a supply of current to make the action switches work as they are passive. I tried to come up with an easy way of doing this to control my Parasound amp but gave up. In the end I bought some X10 switchers and IR reciever which gives me remote on/off control of both my Parasound and MF amps.

Controlling an external amp's trigger input via action switches is quite straightforward.

All you need is a cheap 12v wall wart style power supply which you feed to the trigger input via an action switch.

Then, in the AV32R's config menu, simply set that action switch to be closed for every input (on both pages) and open for STBY (on page 2).

That's assuming your AV32R has action switches of course.

Hope that's helpful,
Steve

Originally posted by Steve Monks
Controlling an external amp's trigger input via action switches is quite straightforward.

All you need is a cheap 12v wall wart style power supply which you feed to the trigger input via an action switch.

Then, in the AV32R's config menu, simply set that action switch to be closed for every input (on both pages) and open for STBY (on page 2).

That's assuming your AV32R has action switches of course.

Hope that's helpful,
Steve

It would have been helpful but sadly my AV32R doesn't have action switches, but thanks anyway :smashin:

Looks like I'll have to switch it on by walking the 3m across my living room (oh the pain!)

Or you can get an X10 controller :)

Thanks for the help guys, but I've managed to resist the temptation of upgraditis and am sticking with the Rotel for the time being.

Hi there,

Here I am digging out this old thread, instead of creating a new, because a lot has been said already.

I find it quite anoying the fact that if I want action switches, I need to upgrade to 7.1, even if I don't need 7.1

Is there a way to add action switches to the AV32R without the 7.1 upgrade?

Or even simpler - get a 12v feed directly from the inside of the AV32R - now that would be great!

M.

Miguelbarroso - this is a question I have asked my self many times - why didn't TAG ever think of this simple but very useful idea?

They have all the high technology but forgot the simplest "convenience" stuff.

I know all about the TAG link etc.. but there are people out there who may not be able to take advantage of it when for example you want to activate some device that isn't TAG.

Any replies UDO??

Wow! It was a surprise to see this thread resurface.

FWIW, I do now have the Krell (as well as a Rotel RB03 for the rears), and am powering it up using X10 technology - the X10 IR controller via Pronto, and an X10 on/off switch into which I have plugged in a Maplins 12v power supply - and it works a treat. Cost was about £60 all in.

X10 Controller http://www.simplyautomate.co.uk/productDisplay.asp?prodId=3428
Plug in Module http://www.simplyautomate.co.uk/productDisplay.asp?prodId=3389
12v Power supply like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35927&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&doy=11m2

I have a spare X10 IR controller lying around. If anyone is interested I'll start a thread in the classifieds.

I also control my lighting (1 uplighter) using one of these http://www.simplyautomate.co.uk/productDisplay.asp?prodId=3418

I'm in the US and trying to solve a similar problem. While I don't want IR switching, I just want my receiver (doesn't have a 12v trigger) to send a signal to my Rotel 1075 which does have a trigger input.

From your last post, I see you used a 500mA adaptor. Would it be possible to just get a similar adaptor and plug it into the switched outlet on my receiver? Then when the receiver goes on, the 12v signal will be sent to the amplifier putting it from standby to on, right? So, question 1 is: would that work? Question 2 is: what is the significance of the amperage on the adators? I've seen 300mA, 500mA, and 1000mA available locally and I don't if this matters for the 12v trigger input.

klrbee25 said:
I'm in the US and trying to solve a similar problem. While I don't want IR switching, I just want my receiver (doesn't have a 12v trigger) to send a signal to my Rotel 1075 which does have a trigger input.

From your last post, I see you used a 500mA adaptor. Would it be possible to just get a similar adaptor and plug it into the switched outlet on my receiver? Then when the receiver goes on, the 12v signal will be sent to the amplifier putting it from standby to on, right? So, question 1 is: would that work? Question 2 is: what is the significance of the amperage on the adators? I've seen 300mA, 500mA, and 1000mA available locally and I don't if this matters for the 12v trigger input.

Should work fine provided the switched outlet on the back of your receiver is actually set to be switched on/off when the receiever goes in/out of standby (I have such an outlet on the back of my bedroom AV receiver, and there is a choice in the menus for always on or switched, so just make sure you set that up right if necessary). As far as the current is concerned, I don't have your Rotel amp obviously but my Bryston doesn't care much as to voltage or current - it'll take pretty much anything - so I would try the lowest current available and take it back in the unlikely event it doesn't work (more difficult once you've cut the output plug off of course, so try to check it works first!).

How's this for resurrecting an old thread!

I'm trying to get my AV32R to turn on my arcam Alpha 10P power amps.

Thought I needed to make a cable that went from an RS232 plug for the tag to a 3.5mm jack for the Arcam.

Well bought the bits and made it, only it doesn't do anything.... :mad:

Judging by this thread that I've just found, it seems this is because the tag action switch is just that, just a switch. It doesn't actually provide the 12v trigger to the Arcams.

So my question is: How do I actually get the 12v into the cable from the Tag to the Arcam so that they actually come on!

Phew this is more complicated than I expected it to be! :suicide:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom