12v Infra Red Trigger Control

lovegroova

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to implement an infra red based 12v trigger system for my power amp.

I have a Marantz RC2000mkII which can learn IR commands and would want to use that to send a command to a device of some sort that could output a 12v dc trigger command and swittch my amp on and off.

Does anyone know specifically what bit of kit I need (X10?) and how to implement it?

Many thanks.

You need two pieces of X10 kit which you can get fromm keene electronics or letsautomate.com, You will need a X10 appliance module which you plug in between your amp and the wall socket. Then you need the X10 infra red reciever, you can plug this into any wall socket in your house. You need to teach your remote the codes to control the IR reciever and it will give you on/off control of the amp as it sends a signal to the appliance module through the mains wiring in your house. You can have as many appliance modules to control as many products as you like. I use mine to give me on/off control of both my Musical Fidelity and Parasound amps. it works a treat.

Thunder,

thanks but unfortunately the amp doesn't have a 'hard' on/off switch so it can't be controlled from the wall socket (which is I think what you are proposing, please correct me if I am wrong).

I was wondering if there was some sort of device that will output the necessary 12v trigger when it is sent an infra red command.

Not a 12v solution either but there are relay-switched sockets at www.oneclickpower.co.uk which work a treat. I used to use the AC Outlet of my old amp to turn stuff on and off via one of these.

Mike.

Unless you get a cheap 12V power supply and pug it into the appliance module giving you on/off control of the 12V power supply and hence on/off control of your amp?

Originally posted by Thunder
Unless you get a cheap 12V power supply and pug it into the appliance module giving you on/off control of the 12V power supply and hence on/off control of your amp?

Sounds interesting - can you point me to such a device?

Go to the keene electronics website www.keene.co.uk, they have a wide range of 12v supplies. It should be about five to ten quid. They also sell all the X10 stuff but letsautomate.com might be a bit cheaper for that.

Thunder,

Would an XM11U combined with an IR7243 do the job?

This might cost a bit more than you would like but I have seen this in action and its quite brilliant.

It's a small interface that can accept infra-red, rs232, or 12v sifnals and convert them to any other of the three types. It also has 2 mains voltage relays built in so it can switch devices on and off.
I believe it retails for about £200 or so.

(select the MCU-300 option - bottom right hand box )

http://www.marata.co.uk/prod-f.htm

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom