12mm Ply Instead of Plasterboard For Partition Walls?

Phaedrus68

Novice Member
Hi,

Has anyone done this?

I'll be ensuring the TV wall bracket is fixed into the studwork behind the ply or plasterboard, but the speaker brackets would easily be supported straight into the 12mm ply, wouldn't they?

If anyone has done it, how did you finish any seams/joins before painting?

Thanks,

Mark

hornydragon

What speakers? Also what screen its not necassary IMO to use ply wood on moderm walls which have plaster board screwed to the studwork for a plasma upto 50" on a flat wall mount with the correct fixings. LAth and plaster is the worst plaster board is pretty strong if treated properly

Phaedrus68

Novice Member
There'll be a 50" plasma each side of this partition wall - a cheap-ish one (whatever well-reviewed last generation 720p is going for the best price come the new year) on the kitchen side and probably a TH-50PZ80 on the sitting room side.

Speakers in kitchen will be from an all-in-one DVD 5.1 system. Speakers in sitting room will probably be QAcoustics 1020i.

Wiring for both rooms will be in the wall.

Thanks,

Mark
I'm not determined to fit ply - I just wondered.

invu2day

There'll be a 50" plasma each side of this partition wall - a cheap-ish one (whatever well-reviewed last generation 720p is going for the best price come the new year) on the kitchen side and probably a TH-50PZ80 on the sitting room side.

Speakers in kitchen will be from an all-in-one DVD 5.1 system. Speakers in sitting room will probably be QAcoustics 1020i.

Wiring for both rooms will be in the wall.

Thanks,

Mark
I'm not determined to fit ply - I just wondered.
I've done something similar. I have a partition wall between the kitchen and sitting room. I built the studwork as regular. I then screwed on 8ft by 2ft p5 grade floorboards onto the studwork. I then screwed 12.5mm plasterboard onto this followed by skimming. I did this so in the future I can hang anything on the wall within reason without worrying about finding stud locations. However for a TV I would still locate the studs for a solid fix. I used 18mm p5 grade chipboard as this is compressed so is a stronger board than just regular chipboard. My intention was to use ply but this was proving too expensive for me.

Hope this is of some help to you :)

Phaedrus68

Novice Member
Indeed it is of help - thanks guys.

My wall in question is just 2.5m wide, so ply might not be prohibitively expensive.

I'm now thinking that ply-plasterboard-skim could probably be a little too much hassle (Xmas is looming, and Mrs Phaedrus wants the kitchen side of this work completed long before it arrives), so I might just go with plasterboard-skim, and rely on the studwork for all support chores.

Thanks,

Mark

hornydragon

You could double up on studs for that wall but as your running the cables in the screen bracket location will be fixed so just put the studs where you needs them, then mount direct throught board into stud either end of bracket using suitable fixings.

Phaedrus68

Novice Member
That's what I'm thinking - I can put loads of studwork in there.

I'm posting a separate thread asking some more questions on the job I'm about to start, so watch over there for my progress.

Thanks for the replies,

Mark

Phaedrus68

Novice Member
FYI

This is what I found under the plasterboard - who'd have thought it, eh? :rolleyes:

Aparrently it's a structurally load-bearing internal wall, so that's why it has 12mm ply under the plasterboard. Shame it's on the kitchen side, rather than the sitting room side . . .

So it turns out I actually have to put 12mm ply where the double doors are coming out. I'll still fit plenty of timber stud behind it (the sitting room wall is just plasterboard - I may have to place more supplementary studwork once I open up that wall), and I'll be fixing the TV bracket into the studs.

Mark

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom