1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

12m DVI to a PJ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PJTX100, Mar 19, 2005.

1. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Now then, dunno whether to post this in the DVD player forum or here?

The kids have temporarily (?) commandeered the old Pio 575. I was going to get a cheap supermarket jobbie for them but I'm now considering spending the extra 60 or 70 quid and getting a Samsung HD745 to supplement my Pio 575 - 'cause I believe it has DVI out on it.

Questions.

1. I'll need a 12m DVI to DVI cable - any recommendations where to get one which won't look like a snowstorm in a blizzard?

2. Anyone ever used the Samsung to feed a PJ via DVI - if so what's the verdict?

3. Am I just throwing money at an immature technology when component progressive does very nicely thankyou? ;)

Thanks...PJ

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    12m is quite a distance for a DVI, it'll not be cheap .. try Joe at The Media Factory.

Why do you use the adjective "immature"? DVI has been around a long time, and HDMI is simply DVI+audio for all current intents and purposes.

3. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Would 10m not be long enough?

Adrenochrome.

4. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought a 12mtr DVI - DVI "Bettercables" cable from Joe, it's a well built, top quality cable.

Regards,

Stan

5. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    for that distance your looking at having to spend a decent ammount for a quality cable, otherwise the dreaded sparklies will occur. i was looking into a 10-12m run but found i got a 5m run under the carpet and up the wall under truncing :thumbsup:

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Thanks for the advice... 12m is what I need, £183... ouch... I'll have a think...PJ

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Hi

Hmm, perhaps I'm wrong? I just got the impression DVI was only, say, a year or two old, whereas component has been around yonks?

I am sorely tempted to give it a try...PJ

Hmm just found this on the supra cables web site...

IMPORTANT NOTE for users of DVI terminated cables:
    The DVI cables work well up to 12.0 metres for standard native resolution 576p (progressive) and 576i (interlaced) but unfortunately we need to issue a warning if using the 12.0m DVI cables with up-scaling sources. (such as 720 progressive and 1080 interlaced).

When we first tested the cables, there were not that many up-scaling sources on the market and we only tried the standard 576 pixel types.

But since then, newer technologies are coming to market and if the source increases the resolution (up-scales it) then over a 12.0 metre length, it is possible that the picture signal will become poor and indistinct.

Obviously, if the image is up-scaled internally AFTER being received in the viewing hardware, then there is no problem - it's only a problem when a 12.0m HDMI<>DVI or DVI<>DVI cable is used FROM an up-scaler that is outputting higher than 576p resolution.

We will work on overcoming this problem. Meanwhile if ordering a 12.0m DVI-DVI and HDMI-DVI cables - ensure that your hardware is running at 576 pixel resolution. (We understand that some other cable companies are facing the same problem).

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    DVI started out in the PC world at least 5 years ago, possibly even more I can't remember now, initially driving large monitors used in CAD applications. The first A/V equipment fitted with DVI appeared in 2002 IIRC. When configuring DVI connections you'll often see a selection of either PC or Video signal levels, showing its' ancestry.

One of the main problems with long DVI runs is that the specification for transmitters only requires a relatively low signal level and some PC graphics cards and CE equipment are fitted with transmitters which just meet the spec, these are therefore more susceptible to the 'sparklies' with longer cables.

As that quote makes clear, the problem increased with increased bandwidth requirements.

The HDMI spec. has increased the signal levels so an HDMI sender will reliably work over a longer cable run .. note that it doesn't matter if it's feeding a DVI receiver, it's the power of the sender that matters here.

I have a BetterCables 9m DVI->DVI guaranteed to do 1080p.

9. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi PJ,

My folks bought a system off Joe at the same time as myself, they bought a 15 mtr DVI - DVI "Bettercables" cable to go between a 3910 and a H77, the picture produced is excellent :thumbsup: .

Regards,

Stan.