128MB Sapphire Radeon 9200SE - any good for gaming ?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by mjw123, May 11, 2004.

1. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Just recently purchased a bargain Dell system from the outlet but the only downside was only on board graphics.

I'm not a massive PC gamer but was wondering whether a modest investment of about £30 would give me a noticeable difference ?

I'm playing call of duty at the moment and it seems fine but there again I maybe totally blown away if I changed to a decent card.

For my budget I thought the 128MB Sapphire Radeon 9200SE seemed best VFM. I not bothered about DVD out quality so it's purely for improved graphics.

Is this the best choice at the £30 mark ? If not what else is good for gaming ?

Also should I go for PCI or AGP - what are the main differences.

PC is Dell 4600 2.6Ghz 120HD 512Mb with XP

TIA,
    Mike.

2. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It depends on what your onboard graphics actually are, if you post back with what mother board with onboard graphics you have in the pc it would be easier to possibly tell if you'd get better performance with a 9200.

I'm currently using a Nforce2 mobo with onboard graphics which I am stil quite happy with, these are apparently the equivilant of a geforce4 so a 9200 wouldn't make much difference here...

Regards,
    Iain.

3. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    The Dell PC specification looks good

The 9200 is not a power card though, but a low range radeon card. A Radeon 9800 PRO is a power card and can be bought for about 150 pounds now. It will let you turn up the graphics details to high and let you apply anti-aliasing settings to smooth out jagged lines

Anti-aliasing does make a difference, and I always have it on now

Also a proper graphics card allows you to see all the Direct X effects like smoke and flames etc

The AGP socket is considered the best way to go for graphics cards at the moment

But things are changing soon with the advent of PCI express ( to replace AGP ) and this will in fact need a new motherboard to be able to use PCI express graphics cards

Soon Nvidia will be bringing out PCI express graphic cards and this will be the best way to go then

Also soon will see alot of new powerful cards being introduced by ATI and Nvidia with new architectures which are said to be twice as quick as the current best cards now

To conclude I would buy a radeon 9800 pro for 150 pounds which would match your PC specification very nicely, but note that new technology is coming on line shortly

4. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i have a simular speced machine as yours with a radeon 9200se plays most games pretty well ( call of duty max payne toca far cry ) but for some reason its not too good at pro evo soccer i myself am buy ing a 9800 pro atlantis 128 mb in june as it got 95% in this months pc gamer mag see it here www.sapphiretech.com

5. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Hehe, I posted a reply yesterday but my internet connection died in work :(

The chipset is the Intel Extreme Graphics 2, this is a pretty poor chipset and is roughly about 3 times less powerful than the current basic entry level graphics card (Geforce MX-440). It also does not support Hardware T&L.

I would say replace it with something, if you only want to spend £30 then do it, but just be aware that it will not run the latest games like Far Cry particuarly well.

6. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

Looks like replacing it with just about anything will do :eek:

I know you only want to spend about £30 mate but If you could strech to something a bit more powerfull (e.g 9600) I think it would be well worth it.

Regards,
    Iain.

7. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Basically for the top system i've got from Dell inc 17" monitor I only paid £350 inc delivery. If I start splashing out quite a bit on a video card it makes the original deal less impressive.

I only play games occasionally so it's not critical.

I do a lot of DV editiing though with Pinnacle - would a better card give any benefit here ?

8. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Yeah, the low end Radeon will give a much better Picture Quality on screen so you can see what you are doing a lot clearer, but it will not make the process any faster as DV editing generally relies on CPU and memory.

9. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    When will this be happening?

I was thinking of buying a latest spec PC for gaming to play far cry, painkiller, doom 3, half life 2 etc but as some of the games do not get released until later in the year I could wait.
    The problem is that with PC technology you have to take the plunge sometime or you could wait forever for the next best thing. I know that ATX will also become BTX does anyone know when that will happen?

thanks
    Darren

10. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    some PCI express cards and boards may be surfacing this year - some possibly this quarter.
    I've seen adverts for quad processor mother boards and Nvidia / ATI are supposed to be releaseing PCI express versions of the gf6800 / X800 cards shortly after the AGP version.
    BTX - no idea, could be this year or next ..... but I would expect mother boards, cases and psu's to be available for ATX for at least the next couple of years - due to the number of current ATX systems out there.

AGP boards are set to be phased out in terms of production in 2 years .... so unless you plan to buy a graphics card to last 3 years then you should not worry about it - considering that in 3 years .. moderate budget cards will probably be as powerful if not more so that the current top performance cards.
    + you may well be looking at a yet another generation of cpu's to upgrade to should you feel the need to.

11. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Thanks for that I have heard the PCI express standard is a lot more efficient and faster than AGP so if it is imminent I will wait a couple of months and buy then. I will not bother waiting for BTX as it looks to be too long a wait. Although I have heard that half life 2 is now going to be delayed until next year now :mad:

Darren

12. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    Unless you are planning on buying a quad opteron board / next socket generation AMD 64 or intel - you can't get PCI-E ... from industry press it looks like only the range of new cpus with a new socket pin out will have PCI-E capable motherboards - there was some mention of there not being any mother board support for P4/AMD XP for PCI-E

13. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    To be honest I was just after something which will last a bit longer than 6 months before being obsolete. If I bought now then the new PC will be out of date within weeks. Maybe the new standard will be a good thing and send prices tumbling even further on the old and hence I will be able to buy a very high end AGP PC for peanuts because no-one will want them anymore.

I will give it a couple of months and see what happens.

Darren

14. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,872
    you can pick up a 3DConnect radeon 9600 pro 128mb for £75 these days..

more than good enough for current games, and will completely thrash all ( except the very high end) GeoForce cards..

hope that helps mate..