1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1280x720p or 1920x1080i

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ParmMann, Oct 1, 2005.

1. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi all,

Just a quick question.
    I have a Pioneer PDP505XDE Plasma Screen, connected via a HDMI cable to a Pioneer 868AVI-S DVD Player.

When watching DVD's, they look stunning on either option, but I can choose between 1280x720p or 1920x1080i.
    I'm not entirely sure which one I should be using? :rolleyes:

One last thing, when watching a DVD using the HDMI link, when changing the aspect ration on the TV I only have 2 options, 'wide' and 'full'. Both result in black bars still remaining at the top and bottom. Is there anyway I could get to 'zoom' or 'cinema' modes to get the picture to be full screen?

Thanks,
    Parm

2. Sparky101

Sparky101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Use whichever one you think looks best.

If the DVD you're watching is 1:2.35 like Lord of the Rings then you will get black bars at the top and bottom. This is how it should be. However you shouldn't be getting any black bars at the sides using the 16:9 mode (not sure what that's called on a Pioneer).

3. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I've tried both 720p and 1080i but to be honest, I find it difficult to tell which looks better. Both look very very good. The 720p I think does like slightly better, but maybe I'm just convinced by the extra little light on the DVD player when in progressive scan mode hehehe.

As for the black bars, I'm stumped. I've been through every setting I can find, everything is set to say that I'm using a widescreen display, but I still get big black bars top and bottom. :rolleyes:

4. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    you will get black bars on most DVDs, as most are recorded in 2.35 to 1 (double widescreen if you like). try a dvd recorded in 1.78/1.85:1 (check the back covers) and you should have no black bars. alsio make sure the dvd player is set to 16:9 mode :suicide:

"wide" is the mode you want

5. joseywales

joseywales

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Actually full is the mode you want. :)

6. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    set it to the resolution that most closely matches your screen - if the screen doesnt have 1080 res, setting the player to 1080 will not reveal any extra info.

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    or if your panel has a good deinterlacer/scaler, try just using interlaced output via SCART or component. You might be pleasantly surprised.

8. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I just checked the DVD's that I've been watching and 99% of them are 2.35:1, doh!

Guess I'm stuck with the black bars as far as thats concerned.

As for the resolution, I checked the online specs here: http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=8888&taxonomy_id=62-63
    It does say "Number of Pixels 1280 (Hor) x 768 (Ver)", so maybe I should go with the 1280x720 progressive option?