1280x720p OR 1920x1080i?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bradavon78, Jul 14, 2005.

1. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    That's it. My HDMI cable arrived yesterday and by jove it improves the picture quality (although I'm only comparing it to RGB Scart as I don't have any component cables). I'm very impressed.

However I'm not sure which is better? I believe I can't notice any difference but this isn't conclusive as I have to stop my Pioneer 868 and go into the menus to change the resolution.

I've opted for 1280x720p as it's progressive but 1920x1080i is much higher resolution.

So guys what do you use?

2. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It also depends on the display. What is the native resolution of your display?
    I did this test using some DVE test patterns: I compared 576p, 720p and 1080i from Panasonic's S97 on a Hitachi 32LD7200. Now, the native resolution of the screen was 1366x768. It means no matter what resolution I select for the DVD player, it needed to scale it to its own resolution. It was interesting to find out that in fact, 576p provided the best response for high frequency patterns (i.e. the best visual resolution) which means that practically, up-scaling did in fact made the picture slightly softer than what it could be...
    I think it all depends on the quality of the TVs scaling circuits so you should try some test patterns to find the best resolution for you own setup.

3. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    The same as your Hitachi. I have a Samsung 32" LCD (the new one) and it's native resolution is also 1366x768.

How do I perform these test patterns?

So put simply at 1920x1080i it would have to downscale as such? Wrong choice of words but you know what I mean.

In theory shouldn't 1280x720p be better as it's progressive, no?

4. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    DVE (Digital Video Essentials) is a DVD with lots of test patterns and audio tracks to test and calibrate DVD/TV/Receivers. So is AVIA and a bunch of
    others. You can buy them from many online shops.

Well, yes and no. The fact is that a modern, top quality TV can also do a good job in motion compensation. An LCD is a progressive scan device by nature so any interlaced video should be converted to progressive scan, now either in the DVD player or inside the TV itself. Which one is better? It the depends on the quality of the algorithms and the circuits used in any of these devices. I suspect that top quality TVs are not really worse than a mid-range DVD-player in doing so.
    However, you may also say that as the DVD player may not pass all the meta-date, headers and flag that it reads from the media to the TV, it can potentially be better in deinterlacing as it has more information. That is why with a good DVD-player like S97 and a modern TV, I suspect 576p can be better than 720p or 1080i: Scaling is done only once, inside the TV and progressive scan is done in the DVD-player where more information about the scene is available.

5. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    That would explain why my Pioneer 868's progressive light stayed on when I selected 1920x1080i.

I'll check out DVE cheers.

6. iBug

iBug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got an LG LCD TV but when I use it with 868 with component, I can't select progressive. The picture is lost when I do that. I don't think every LCD TV is progressive. I'll try my HDMI later though, I ordered a HDMI>DVI cable and I'll try it when it gets here. I'll try 720p since the TV supports it.

7. SimonMW

SimonMW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because 1080i is interlaced it has 30% less perceived resolution than the number of lines it specifies. So in other words the reason why 720p was chosen as the progressive standard was because it is roughly 30% less resolution than 1080i. Both standards should, to the human eye, appear to have roughly the same resolution.